Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are flights soooo expensive?!

1. d12
    The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.

Why are flights soooo expensive?!

Advertisements
    Just need to whine.
    Trying to get back to NC for the 4th of July to see DB before he leaves for more training and it's so frustrating how expensive flights are to get to where he is. He isn't near a big airport so the flights are NOT cheap. Unfortunately, this will be the last opportunity until Christmas thanks to my schedule and his not lining up AT ALL so I shouldn't complain. I'll be able to save a lot of money while he's training lol I just need to whine.

11 [more] months and long distance will finally be over....
  2. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Quote Originally Posted by d12 View Post
    Just need to whine.
    Trying to get back to NC for the 4th of July to see DB before he leaves for more training and it's so frustrating how expensive flights are to get to where he is. He isn't near a big airport so the flights are NOT cheap. Unfortunately, this will be the last opportunity until Christmas thanks to my schedule and his not lining up AT ALL so I shouldn't complain. I'll be able to save a lot of money while he's training lol I just need to whine.

11 [more] months and long distance will finally be over....
    Unfortunately you're trying to book a trip over a holiday weekend that's less than a month away to a small airport - there's no way that's going to be cheap. If you're willing to drive a little bit to/from neighboring airports, you may be able to find something cheaper! I was just able to help a friend do that and she got flights for about half the price of what she was originally seeing.
    ~Becca~

3. d12
    Booking further in advance would have definitely helped the situation lol I didn't know for sure if we'd be able to swing it so I didn't book early. I could fly into Raleigh, but it didn't really save enough money to offset the convenience. It is what it is, I knew it'd be high flying over the 4th it just really is the only time we can make it work before he leaves for rotations. My fault for not booking earlier, I'm just whiney and frustrated today.
  4. Senior Member
    Booking over a holiday weekend and going into a smaller airport is always more expensive. Can you fly into a bigger airport and drive to where you need to be? Might save you some money.
  5. d12
    Quote Originally Posted by AdaraMarie View Post
    Booking over a holiday weekend and going into a smaller airport is always more expensive. Can you fly into a bigger airport and drive to where you need to be? Might save you some money.
    It doesn't save enough to really offset the convenience of flying into the smaller airport. I'd save about $100 but then I'd have to either rent a car or hope like hell he was able to get me back to the airport in time to fly out. Raleigh is just over an hour away from him.
  6. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by d12 View Post
    It doesn't save enough to really offset the convenience of flying into the smaller airport. I'd save about $100 but then I'd have to either rent a car or hope like hell he was able to get me back to the airport in time to fly out. Raleigh is just over an hour away from him.
    I live in NC and have flown out of a ton of our airports. I feel you on this one! RDU is the closest and cheapest you're going to find but with the time crunch, it's still going to be expensive. You could look into CLT too (hub for AA) but I also doubt prices would go down. Where is your SO stationed? If you rent a car you could always ask if they do a military discount. Couldn't hurt! There are also a number of services that shuttle to and from RDU across the eastern portion of the state that you could look into. I spend a lot of time in that half of the state for work so I like to think I'm familiar with it! PM me if you want any help!
  7. d12
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    I live in NC and have flown out of a ton of our airports. I feel you on this one! RDU is the closest and cheapest you're going to find but with the time crunch, it's still going to be expensive. You could look into CLT too (hub for AA) but I also doubt prices would go down. Where is your SO stationed? If you rent a car you could always ask if they do a military discount. Couldn't hurt! There are also a number of services that shuttle to and from RDU across the eastern portion of the state that you could look into. I spend a lot of time in that half of the state for work so I like to think I'm familiar with it! PM me if you want any help!

Thanks for the info! He is in Fayetteville at the moment. Usually I fly into CLT then on to Fayetteville from there. I've flown into RDU several times as well. I've been looking at different options for a week now--such a pain in the butt sometimes LOL. This time around I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay a little more, but if I get to come down around Thanksgiving (another expensive flying date!) I will holler at you for sure. I'll know after this trip if Thanksgiving will be in the cards or not. It's kind of silly since he'll get to come home 4 weeks later, but he gets really down on Thanksgiving because he's spent the last 4 alone Sooooo...the things we do for love haha
  8. Regular Member
    Yeah booking further ahead definitely helps. Whenever I am able I book 3 months or so in advance. I am not sure ifbthe day you choose to book has something to do with prices either. I think I usually book flights on Sundays. But there may be a better day of the week? I know that's sucky advice for this trip you need but maybe it might help for next one?
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I'm looking into flights now for a friends wedding in September and they suck as well, even this far in advance and I won't be able to book for at least a few more weeks. I feel your pain.
  10. Senior Member
    I'm looking at flights to go home in October. I'm finding nothing cheaper than $600 cause I'm near a small airport. I've looked into driving to a bigger airport, but the cost doesn't change. I'd drive but that's almost 48hrs. It's frustrating.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast