Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Boyfriend 2 hours away but I rarely see him

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Boyfriend 2 hours away but I rarely see him

Advertisements
    So my boyfriend is at BMP, Basic Marine Platoon, and his schedule is always changing so I never know if I get to talk to him on the phone or Facetime. We text throughout the day but it's still lonely. Plus whenever he says he's going to call or when I plan to visit him, he gets notified at the last possible second that He won't be able to talk or I won't be able to see him. Advice for trying to stay positive?
  2. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by izzylovestee View Post
    So my boyfriend is at BMP, Basic Marine Platoon, and his schedule is always changing so I never know if I get to talk to him on the phone or Facetime. We text throughout the day but it's still lonely. Plus whenever he says he's going to call or when I plan to visit him, he gets notified at the last possible second that He won't be able to talk or I won't be able to see him. Advice for trying to stay positive?
    So sorry, so single and not connected to the military anymore. Can someone please explain what Basic Marine Platoon is? Never heard of it and google just suggests that it's boot camp.

I guess I'd be more upset that his schedule switches up every single time you try to visit, or he suddenly doesn't have time to talk on the phone. But if he's at basic and/or new-ish to the military then he will have little control over his schedule and when he can see you. He should, however, have access to a phone at least and be able to communicate (if he's not in basic).
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    So sorry, so single and not connected to the military anymore. Can someone please explain what Basic Marine Platoon is? Never heard of it and google just suggests that it's boot camp.

I guess I'd be more upset that his schedule switches up every single time you try to visit, or he suddenly doesn't have time to talk on the phone. But if he's at basic and/or new-ish to the military then he will have little control over his schedule and when he can see you. He should, however, have access to a phone at least and be able to communicate (if he's not in basic).
    Basic Marine Platoon is where the Marines go after graduation to heal from bootcamp. They are there until they are healed and then head off to MCT
  4. Senior Member
    If it was EVERY time I would be a little upset. But one thing I have learned is there is only so much you can do with the military is their spouse and we are the mistress. Yup I said it that way. This week alone I was having a bad day, on thursday....hubby let me get away from the house for about 30 min while he worked on dinner and watched the kids. Dinner was over and he got called back into work and didn't come home till 11 at night.
  5. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by izzylovestee View Post
    Basic Marine Platoon is where the Marines go after graduation to heal from bootcamp. They are there until they are healed and then head off to MCT
    Interesting! Thanks!
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Margot31 View Post
    If it was EVERY time I would be a little upset. But one thing I have learned is there is only so much you can do with the military is their spouse and we are the mistress. Yup I said it that way. This week alone I was having a bad day, on thursday....hubby let me get away from the house for about 30 min while he worked on dinner and watched the kids. Dinner was over and he got called back into work and didn't come home till 11 at night.
    Yep!!!
    When dh got stationed in San Diego I was supposed to fly out to see him before my school year started. They decided the night before my flight left to fly him to his ship the next day.

If it's *every* time I might raise an eyebrow. I'd ask him straight up, which if it's just the fact they keep him busy at bad times for you, it will require some understanding from him that you are just seeing the being canceled on constantly.
    I asked dh when we were dating why the heck I hardly heard from him when my friend who was dating his boot camp roommate got to talk to him all the time. He had to explain to me the difference in their deployments and what forward deployed meant and also how the phone system in Japan was different (this was before we all had 4g in the states....I still had a flip phone).
  7. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I agree with the others. Exactly how frequently are things getting canceled/moved around/etc? Not calling you a liar, it's just that humans have a natural bias where it may feel like bad/disappointing things are happening more often than they are. Like if you wrote everything down is it really every single time, or is it closer to half the time etc? I started doing this at work because I was getting really frustrated about certain things not happening the way I wanted, but then when I started documenting it to present to my leadership I realized it wasn't happening nearly as often as I thought, it just felt that way because it was so frustrating when it did happen.

I also think it will help you to stay positive! I know it made a difference for me.

I'm also not familiar with BMP at all so maybe more people can chime in there, but even when DH was out of training and just doing regular military stuff we had canceled plans pretty frequently, and unfortunately a good deal of it was last minute.