Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Complicated Circumstances: UPDATE

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Complicated Circumstances: UPDATE

Advertisements
    Hello beautiful people of MSOS

About 3 months ago I had posted for the first time here asking about whether or not I should trust my gut and visit a Marine I had formed an intimate emotional/mental bond with despite the near 3,000 miles of distance. As I had stated in my post, I tend to think with my head rather than trust my heart when it comes to relationships, and with that in mind I think I really needed all the optimistic support that you all offered. One piece of advice that I remember particularly standing out was the statement that I had "nothing to lose but potentially a lot to gain." That really helped put things in perspective. So for once, I actually trusted my heart and didn't overthink it, and I can say without a doubt it was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Long story short, I visited my Marine for those 5 days and stayed with him at his family's house, and simply put, it was beyond any of my greatest expectations. Actually, we both went into the visit with more anticipation rather than expectation (I didn't want to get my hopes up, only to be disappointed, so we both remained positively optimistic about the whole thing without setting ourselves up for failure), and all that anticipation paid off. I knew we clicked on a special level before the visit, but actually physically being together was beyond refreshing and very eye-opening as well. Not only did we get to experience finally our unique chemistry in person, but being surrounded by his closest family and friends really allowed me to see an even more in-depth side of him - one I always knew was present, but could finally experience for myself. Not only that, but being able to have one-on-one conversations with his parents, with his best friends really solidified for me that he truly is the genuine man I had grown to know over the couple of months of talking; I think this visit is really what I needed - what we both needed - to validate our strong feelings for each other and go all in. We needed to know that we weren't being naive, fueled only by that honeymoon stage of emotions, but that we really were compatible personality, lifestyle, and value wise. So basically, as you all had said, the trip helped me to gain so much

Having to separate again was very difficult, but we both handled it impeccably well in my opinion. It's been about 3 weeks since I've had to say goodbye to him, but we are stronger than ever. Both our families are incredibly supportive, and I know we're very lucky in that regard. Though my parents haven't met him in person yet, they've Skyped and very much approve, they even have little inside jokes with him already, and just having their approval means the world to me. As for my Marine and me, missing each other is now more potent than ever, but luckily we have visits already in the works to look forward to (one in March, and one extended one in July). Though the distance certainly sucks, I'm grateful that at least it has really helped us forge a great foundation of communication and trust. I'm also very grateful we took things slow and didn't make anything official until the visit, even though the waiting felt unbearable at times. Now we both know the wait was worth it, and always will be worth it. I've always thought I lacked in patience, so I look at this as a way to grow in that virtue.

Anyways, before this gets unnecessarily long, I just wanted to sincerely thank you for all those who offered advice and all the support flooded my way in that first post. I don't know if I would've made that jump without all your encouragement. I expect I'll visit this website quite a bit now, I'm so glad I found this community. I suppose before I sign off, I would be remiss if I didn't ask for some more advice, since I know many of you are very experienced when it comes to Military relationships... what would your advice be to a new couple? We've now known each other for 6 months now, and I really want this relationship to last, meaning I want to lay a really solid foundation for us to grow upon.

Thank you so much to all of you!
  2. Senior Member
    Fabulous! I'm so happy that you decided to see what would/ could happen! Very excited for you!

Thank you for posting and letting us know the wonderful outcome!