Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Student in the states with a marine going to Japan

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Student in the states with a marine going to Japan

Advertisements
    Hello everyone! I haven't been on in a while and right now I'm finding myself having a very hard time deciding what to do with my future endeavors. I am in my first semester of my junior year of college and my marine requested to go to Japan after MOS school because she says she have "amazing opportunities and it's easier to rank up". Of course this isn't a really big things for me.
    We both really want to get married so I can give with her. We are tired
    Of being apart. We have been since I started school!
    I just want to know if you all think this wound be a good idea?
    Is it impossible to go to school online wholeness being with her there in Japan?
    Education is very important to me and I don't want to lose all the hardness work I've done but the distance hasn't really been trying and we Justin want to be happy together finally.
    This isn't all making me so emotional so I'm just looking for some help.
    Thanks!
  2. Senior Member
    If you want to get married, go for it, but I would not get married if your primary reasoning is because you two want to be together. Your love will be able o stand the test of time and distance so there is no need to rush it. If you truly are ready for marriage though I think Japan would be a wonderful experience for the both of you. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to go to school online.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ModestyElaine View Post
    Hello everyone! I haven't been on in a while and right now I'm finding myself having a very hard time deciding what to do with my future endeavors. I am in my first semester of my junior year of college and my marine requested to go to Japan after MOS school because she says she have "amazing opportunities and it's easier to rank up". Of course this isn't a really big things for me.
    Is it impossible to go to school online wholeness being with her there in Japan?
    Education is very important to me and I don't want to lose all the hardness work I've done but the distance hasn't really been trying and we Justin want to be happy together finally.
    Thanks!
    With the Marines you have to be E5 and above to have accompanied orders (where you can bring your spouse to Japan). Coming fresh out of A-school she has a long way to go before she gets to E5. And since you weren't married before she joained/got her orders cut, you're going to have a hard time getting the orders amended while she's junior enlisted.

I say wait. You have 2 years of school left, and her orders to Japan --if she gets them-- will likely be for just 2 years. Finish your schooling here and join her when she comes back to the states.
    Last edited by idratherbehiking; 10-06-2016 at 06:26 AM.

4. Senior Member
    IdRatherBeHiking brings up the most important point. She most likely doesn't qualify to bring a dependent with her, so marrying her wouldn't change the fact that you'll be separated. She can confirm this with her gaining command in Japan, but I believe that's still the case for Marines. (Navy just changed the rules somewhat, for some bases at least.)

Also, unless you would absolutely be getting married now if she weren't going to Japan, it is a really awful idea to make such a major life decision in a rush. Stay in the US and finish school. Use it as motivation to bust your butt and finish with school as fast as possible so that you can join her on her next set of orders.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Senior Member
    Agreed, the Marines have a rank requirement for Japan. While no one loves long distance, you can look at it as pretty good timing. Like 'hiking' said you have two years to finish school and orders most likely would be unaccompanied two years. If you are able to visit back and forth a few times, the time will go faster than you think. And it is a great opportunity personally and career-wise. Finishing school is so important.
  6. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Quote Originally Posted by ModestyElaine View Post
    Thanks!
    I'm honestly having trouble making sense of your post, you seem to use wrong words and have random breaks in sentences. That aside, I think the gist of it is your SO is requesting (no official orders yet) to go to Japan. You are in your 3rd year of college, so y'all have been apart for 2 years. You want to get married so you can follow her to Japan and try to do online schooling. If this isn't correct, please correct me.

My opinion is not to get married and move and try to do online school. From your profile, it says you want to get your PhD. I've had friends get a PhD and have seen countless people struggle to get into a program because they did not have recommendations you can get from a brick and mortar school where you develop relationships with professors and other professionals. 2 years apart isn't very long when you consider a lifetime together. There are members on here that did several years apart from their SO's to finish schooling.

Also, you've already asked this question and got similar responses. Is it enough experience to be ready?