Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Collection of thoughts and open to new journeys

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Hello Collection of thoughts and open to new journeys

Advertisements
    Welcome to the hour where the Newbie introduces themselves to the rest of the world and says, "Hello!" and may start a bit of a ramble.

I will be honest and say I never thought I would see myself doing this, but during a time of vulnerability and need to grasp a sense of empathy and security from others, I'm willing to give this a shot.

I've been with my husband for a little of a year, but we just got married a couple of weeks ago. He has been my rock since day one and I wouldn't trade him for the world. However, after being deployed to Turkey until next May, and my best friend moving out of state, I began to feel a loneliness that I have not experienced in a very long time. I have been considered as an introvert, it is very difficult for me to start conversation to new people or surround myself in an environment that I have done before. And for the past few months since my husband has been overseas and surrounded by friends and able to cope with the situation a lot better than others could, I was the one alone. It is not a message of victimization, but there was an internal need to have a friend that I could talk to outside of my husband or best friend. But since being with him, I have isolated myself from my already small circle of friends, because they mostly men and I knew he would be jealous due to his experience of being cheated on.

So it has become a challenge to gain a community for myself and gain independence from his associates and have a place where I can say, "I'm with good people and they care about me." I know it will take time to find the right people that I am comfortable developing a friendship with. And this is my first attempt of trying to take a step forward and say, "I would love to get to know you."

The irony of this entire message is that I can tell you that I'm not a huge talker externally, but I am a good listener, and I cherish a friendship deeply.

Well, I have rambled enough! If you read through this, I say thank you, and I look forward to gaining a community for myself and get to know you all.

As a token of my appreciation, I would like to share with you all one of my hobbies, which is drawing. I hope you enjoy
    [IMG]C360_2016-07-22-17-27-14-979.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by mwalker025; 07-24-2016 at 11:36 AM.
  2. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mwalker025 View Post
    Welcome to the hour where the Newbie introduces themselves to the rest of the world and says, "Hello!" and may start a bit of a ramble.

I will be honest and say I never thought I would see myself doing this, but during a time of vulnerability and need to grasp a sense of empathy and security from others, I'm willing to give this a shot.

I've been with my husband for a little of a year, but we just got married a couple of weeks ago. He has been my rock since day one and I wouldn't trade him for the world. However, after being deployed to Turkey until next May of '17, and my best friend moving out of state, I began to feel a loneliness that I have not experienced in a very long time. I have been considered as an introvert, it is very difficult for me to start conversation to new people or surround myself in an environment that I have done before. And for the past few months since my husband has been overseas and surrounded by friends and able to cope with the situation a lot better than others could, I was the one alone. It is not a message of victimization, but there was an internal need to have a friend that I could talk to outside of my husband or best friend. But since being with him, I have isolated myself from my already small circle of friends, because they mostly men and I knew he would be jealous due to his experience of being cheated on.

So it has become a challenge to gain a community for myself and gain independence from his associates and have a place where I can say, "I'm with good people and they care about me." I know it will take time to find the right people that I am comfortable developing a friendship with. And this is my first attempt of trying to take a step forward and say, "I would love to get to know you."

The irony of this entire message is that I can tell you that I'm not a huge talker externally, but I am a good listener, and I cherish a friendship deeply.

Well, I have rambled enough! If you read through this, I say thank you, and I look forward to gaining a community for myself and get to know you all.

As a token of my appreciation, I would like to share with you all one of my hobbies, which is drawing. I hope you enjoy
    [IMG]C360_2016-07-22-17-27-14-979.jpg[/IMG]
    Hello & Welcome!! You sound a lot like me. I talk so much to my DH and close friends but really have a problem talking to others. I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for here!

March 7, 2015: I married my best friend!

3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwalker025 View Post
    But since being with him, I have isolated myself from my already small circle of friends, because they mostly men and I knew he would be jealous due to his experience of being cheated on.
    I find it very sad that an introvert who has a tough time meeting new people feels the need to isolate themselves from their friends because their husband might be jealous. Have you spoken with him about this? I would think he would want you to be able to maintain your friendships.
  4. Senior Member
    Hello and welcome! I would strongly suggest you talk to your husband about his trust issue because isolating yourself from close friends because they are males isn't healthy for you
  5. Senior Member
    and
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you all! And yes, we began a discussion yesterday in order to make progress on creating a better environment for both myself and to ease his stress levels on whom I create friendships with . It is a work in a progress which will hit a lot bumps and curves, but we are hopeful and determined for a better future for us both.
  7. Senior Member
    Have you gone to any command sponsored events. If they have an FRG meeting? Not sure what branch of service you are attached with but in the navy and mc they have a class to talk and you might be able to find someone there who understands and might be a female.

I am an introvert too till you get to know me but I fully force myself to go sometimes and very glad I have.
  8. Senior Member
    Welcome aboard! As other posters have said you should reach out to base resources. They can you lead you to support groups and activities. You may been to force yourself a bit but meeting people and other spouses in the same boat has always been a tremendous help for me.