Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Hotel Pass?

1. Senior Member

Confused Hotel Pass?

Advertisements
    Hey guys! So db starts tech school and gets his phone back in two days! yay! He rented a cell phone thingy today to talk to me and we had a great conversation. He is slowly getting more and more information on tech school (at Lackland AFB) and he said I could get a hotel pass to stay on base with. I only live 3 hours away so I am planning on going every weekend or every other weekend untill school starts in Fall.

ANYWHO, I missed DB so much I did not want to talk about all the technical aspects and just wanted to focus on all the lovey mushy stuff. Now, I am left confused... Do they really let you have a hotel pass so you can stay on a hotel on base? are these cheaper? How can I get one? Is there a website for this kind of stuff? Is he allowed to stay in my hotel room? If not, untill what time can he be in it? I would be grateful for ANY answers or general advice on this topic so please let me know.

I am anxious to see my airman before he moves on to a random base.
  2. Senior Member
    You'd have to go to the visitors center and get a visitors pass. The passes can last for up to 30 days. I'm not sure how it works though. I'm sure there is someone you could call, or even go onto the base website to find out more info about it. Since he is there he can even talk to someone about it to get the necessary details.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AirgirlBay View Post
    Hey guys! So db starts tech school and gets his phone back in two days! yay! He rented a cell phone thingy today to talk to me and we had a great conversation. He is slowly getting more and more information on tech school (at Lackland AFB) and he said I could get a hotel pass to stay on base with. I only live 3 hours away so I am planning on going every weekend or every other weekend untill school starts in Fall.

ANYWHO, I missed DB so much I did not want to talk about all the technical aspects and just wanted to focus on all the lovey mushy stuff. Now, I am left confused... Do they really let you have a hotel pass so you can stay on a hotel on base? are these cheaper? How can I get one? Is there a website for this kind of stuff? Is he allowed to stay in my hotel room? If not, untill what time can he be in it? I would be grateful for ANY answers or general advice on this topic so please let me know.

What will happen is he will have to rent the room for you. It is a bit cheaper. It will also be space available and your reservations can be cancelled if that room is needed for active duty troops. There is no pass such as you are thinking. He has to get you signed on to base which is a visitor pass and he is 100% responsible for everything you do and where you are at all times. I would think since he is in tech school he will not be able to stay with you unless he is granted permission from his instructors or whomever is in charge of that kinda thing at his school.

BUT I would not plan on every weekend because he will still need weekends for studying and other things.
  4. Senior Member
    The "hotel pass" is not for you, it is for him. He needs a "hotel pass" in order to be able to spend the night somewhere other than the dorms. Do not expect him to be granted one every or even every other weekend.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

The "Hotel pass" is for him given and granted by his MTLs. It allows him to stay away for the weekend (either in town or away in another, there are two separate ones). He will not be able to get one until he is out of his initial phase of training because he is restricted to base, in uniform, and these liberties aren't allowed. Afterwards, he may be able to do so. He will not be able to stay anywhere other than his room without it and curfew depends on the base. Ours was 0200 on Friday and Saturday, and 2200 on Sunday.

He will also need to be the one who reserves the room and gets your a visitors pass to come on to base. This also requires him to be with you at all times since you don't have an ID card and that won't be possible every, or every other, weekend. He will also be responsible for studying, and he will be making tons of new friends and coworkers that will be moving on to the next base with him. As harsh as it may be, he will need his time alone as well.

If I were you, I'd wait for him to be done with that initial phase and when he is allowed to stay out in town, and do that. It's much more simple in the long run and I'm sure you'll be going off base often anyways. May as well suck up the extra expense and skip all the base requirements.

ETA: My advice would be to remain flexible. Don't try and make a schedule too far out because things will change. If you can, talk about the upcoming weekend on Monday and don't go farther than that. People do dumb things that ruin everyone's liberties, and tests are often within a couple days of learning the material so study time is important. I had to use my weekends to go in to the school house and study often.
    Last edited by Carolina; 07-17-2016 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Added
  6. aBr
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by EverlastingLove View Post
    The "Hotel pass" is for him given and granted by his MTLs. It allows him to stay away for the weekend (either in town or away in another, there are two separate ones). He will not be able to get one until he is out of his initial phase of training because he is restricted to base, in uniform, and these liberties aren't allowed. Afterwards, he may be able to do so. He will not be able to stay anywhere other than his room without it and curfew depends on the base. Ours was 0200 on Friday and Saturday, and 2200 on Sunday.

He will also need to be the one who reserves the room and gets your a visitors pass to come on to base. This also requires him to be with you at all times since you don't have an ID card and that won't be possible every, or every other, weekend. He will also be responsible for studying, and he will be making tons of new friends and coworkers that will be moving on to the next base with him. As harsh as it may be, he will need his time alone as well.

If I were you, I'd wait for him to be done with that initial phase and when he is allowed to stay out in town, and do that. It's much more simple in the long run and I'm sure you'll be going off base often anyways. May as well suck up the extra expense and skip all the base requirements.

ETA: My advice would be to remain flexible. Don't try and make a schedule too far out because things will change. If you can, talk about the upcoming weekend on Monday and don't go farther than that. People do dumb things that ruin everyone's liberties, and tests are often within a couple days of learning the material so study time is important. I had to use my weekends to go in to the school house and study often.
    The confusion here is the language you're looking for is "hotel waiver", not hotel pass which is being confused for base pass.

I know it's gotta be super tempting to drive to him since you're not that far, but it's pretty futile in the early days of tech school. I'd wait until he can go off base in civilian clothes and actually have fun.
  7. Regular Member
    Wait til he gets ATP. If he doesn't have it he can't stay with you, so best to wait.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by susanwiggins View Post
    Wait til he gets ATP. If he doesn't have it he can't stay with you, so best to wait.
    sorry what does ATP stand for? All these military acronyms are hard to remember and all that comes to mind when I hear ATP is the cellular energy carrier adenosine triphosphate.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

sorry what does ATP stand for? All these military acronyms are hard to remember and all that comes to mind when I hear ATP is the cellular energy carrier adenosine triphosphate.
    Advanced training phase. This is the phase of his tech school training where he doesn't always have to be in uniform, can leave base, and enjoy all those extra liberties trainees can have.

ITP or initial training phase, is when they're new. They're stuck in uniform all the time, can't leave base, can't enjoy extra liberties. This phase can last as soon as a week or as long as he's there; it's all dependent on him and his actions/behavior. For my tech school, we got out of ITP after two weeks with two successful room inspections. I also went to a 6 month school so things could be different. He will still have his phone and all that, but the point is to ease trainees back to having their freedom after strict basic training.