Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Boyfriend at boot.

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Neutral Boyfriend at boot.

Advertisements
    Hello everyone, I am Katie. My boyfriend of 7 months is enlisting in the USMC. He is about to attend MEPS so his leave date for boot camp is still to be determined if anyone has done the whole boyfriend at boot camp thing please comment. One of the girls at my school's boyfriend went last year and I was told that the DIs need to break them down to build them up and I mean like from what I hear the DI basically try to convince recruits that their families don't care about them and that their girlfriends are cheating. I just would like a sneak peek into the strain the next few years will have on our relationship.
  2. Senior Member

Hello & Welcome!

While I don't have any direct experience with the Marine Corps... from a boot camp perspective I would say that's a little extreme...The worst that I remember being said were more personal insults or sweeping statements made about the whole group. The main purpose of that is to try and weed out the weak minded. As long as your boyfriend can take some harsh words at times then I think he'll be alright. Most of the stress to your relationship will happen during bootcamp because of the very little communication from his side and you worrying about him. Once the communication opens back up, most times the stress level lessens because you're no longer trying to read between the lines so to speak.

March 7, 2015: I married my best friend!

3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3katiehernandez View Post
    Hello everyone, I am Katie. My boyfriend of 7 months is enlisting in the USMC. He is about to attend MEPS so his leave date for boot camp is still to be determined if anyone has done the whole boyfriend at boot camp thing please comment. One of the girls at my school's boyfriend went last year and I was told that the DIs need to break them down to build them up and I mean like from what I hear the DI basically try to convince recruits that their families don't care about them and that their girlfriends are cheating. I just would like a sneak peek into the strain the next few years will have on our relationship.
    IME what your friend said is pretty accurate. I was still dating my husband while he was at Marine boot camp and I remember early on getting a letter from him telling me a lot of other guy's girlfriends had left them, the stuff the DIs said, and he was worried and basically asking me not to leave. And I assured him I wouldn't.

Marine boot camp a 3+ months of intense exercise, training, and mind games. They want to make him better and stronger. He will make it through just fine and so will you.

After boot camp and the following MCT (or SOI) communication gets a lot easier when he's at A school.

4. Senior Member

No advice on boot camp, just wanted to say hi.
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."