Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: We're here again...

  1. Senior Member
    JaneSays's Avatar
    JaneSays is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,588
    #1

    We're here again...

    Advertisements
    DH leaves Sunday for GA. He'll be there and TAD for 4 months, and since we already have a lease here (and all our stuff) and have two dogs and a baby, it just doesn't make sense for us to go there with him. It's an 8.5 hour drive to go visit, so it's looking like I'll be making that trip once a month with our small dog and 14 month old son. Oy. I feel so bad--he's going to miss so much! Nolan's first steps, his first words (besides dada) and how much he will learn and grow! Hoping the time goes quickly and that I figure out a way to mow the lawn without hurting my back!
  2. Senior Member
    Heisenberg's Avatar
    Heisenberg is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    16,413
    #2
    Aww! Four months isn't so bad. I'm sure distance is way harder with a baby but at least you'll have monthly visits to look forward to. I find that that helps me, any amount of time really feels insurmountable unless there's a visit planned. Having it broken up like that just feels like a closer goal, I guess.

    I don't remember, have you guys done long distance before?
  3. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    sweetvanity's Avatar
    sweetvanity is offline
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    9,370
    #3
    Hey! Great to see you on here!

    Sorry to hear he's TAD. I'm sure you'll figure out 18 cool and different ways to make sure he keeps up to date with all of DS's new accomplishments in no time.

    Did I ask you what he ended up with for an MOS?! If so, I don't remember.

    www.SnarkyFit.com
  4. Senior Member
    JaneSays's Avatar
    JaneSays is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,588
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Aww! Four months isn't so bad. I'm sure distance is way harder with a baby but at least you'll have monthly visits to look forward to. I find that that helps me, any amount of time really feels insurmountable unless there's a visit planned. Having it broken up like that just feels like a closer goal, I guess.

    I don't remember, have you guys done long distance before?
    Yeah, the first time was closer to 7, 8 months. OCS and then his first semester of college in Colorado before I moved. It's weird doing distance again though. Now we've got two dogs and a kid! But the odds of a deployment happening in the next two years are high so I guess it's good to get used to it.

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetvanity View Post
    Hey! Great to see you on here!

    Sorry to hear he's TAD. I'm sure you'll figure out 18 cool and different ways to make sure he keeps up to date with all of DS's new accomplishments in no time.

    Did I ask you what he ended up with for an MOS?! If so, I don't remember.
    Lots of FaceTime and keeping myself busy. I'm hopefully going to be going back to work in the fall too which will help (but will cut back on visiting potential). He got tanks as his new MOS, which is why he's off to GA. They do tank school with the Army. So far he loves it! Fun combat arms job that's a bit gentler than going infantry on his older Marine Corps body.
  5. Senior Member
    PaUSMC's Avatar
    PaUSMC is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    656
    #5
    Agreed, I think it would be more stress to pack up and move for four months only to turn around and do it again. By the time you are settled into a routine it will be time to start planning to move to your PDS. DB was a tanker (E) and loved it, when he switched MOS as an O he went back and tried to get tanks again He ended up getting a supply though. Take lots of photos and videos, good luck!
  6. Senior Member
    bdizzle's Avatar
    bdizzle is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    19,693
    #6
    Even though it doesn't seem like it to others, four months can be hard! I always hated the shorter trips, they seemed to be harder and take longer. We'll be in GA and I don't think I'll be working at all (thanks crap job market in columbus ) so if you guys need anything let me know!


  7. The name says it all!
    ALil2Naughty's Avatar
    ALil2Naughty is offline
    The name says it all!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Loki's chambers
    Posts
    26,367

    #7

    DH: Thank you. ME: For what, babe? DH: For being you.




  8. Senior Member
    JaneSays's Avatar
    JaneSays is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,588
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by PaUSMC View Post
    Agreed, I think it would be more stress to pack up and move for four months only to turn around and do it again. By the time you are settled into a routine it will be time to start planning to move to your PDS. DB was a tanker (E) and loved it, when he switched MOS as an O he went back and tried to get tanks again He ended up getting a supply though. Take lots of photos and videos, good luck!
    Yeah, we tried to make it work, but it just didn't make sense. We found a great house when we PCSed here, and we'd have to find someone to sublet it for a short time, IF our landlords would even be ok with it. It's such a short and specific time frame that I don't think we'd seriously find someone, and then we'd have to pack up all our stuff and unpack it again when we got back. Or, we could've gotten temporary housing when we got here but we need housing with a yard since we have one large dog that I can't walk AND take the baby with us at the same time. So yeah, overall just too complicated to figure out, even though we hate to be separated.

    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    Even though it doesn't seem like it to others, four months can be hard! I always hated the shorter trips, they seemed to be harder and take longer. We'll be in GA and I don't think I'll be working at all (thanks crap job market in columbus ) so if you guys need anything let me know!
    Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. When will y'all get there? We'll definitely be visiting too and I'm sure there will be times when we're there on the weekends and DH has to go in to take care of something--we should definitely hang out!

    Quote Originally Posted by ALil2Naughty View Post
    Thanks! I'm sure we'll be fine, I'm just feeling a bit sorry for myself. I do think I get the short end of the stick--he's with other adults, training on something he really enjoys, and gets more free time in the evening (and can go out to eat late, go skeet shooting and go find a martial arts studio to work out at, etc.) while I'm toting my 14-month old with me everywhere. I love my son, and I'm so happy I've been able to stay home with him for so long, but I'm ready to go back to work and have a bit of time for myself.
  9. Senior Member
    bdizzle's Avatar
    bdizzle is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    19,693
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneSays View Post
    Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. When will y'all get there? We'll definitely be visiting too and I'm sure there will be times when we're there on the weekends and DH has to go in to take care of something--we should definitely hang out!
    we leave next thursday, so we'll get there shortly after your husband does. DH will be super busy with ibolc so yes, we should hang out!


  10. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    sweetvanity's Avatar
    sweetvanity is offline
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    9,370
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneSays View Post
    Lots of FaceTime and keeping myself busy. I'm hopefully going to be going back to work in the fall too which will help (but will cut back on visiting potential). He got tanks as his new MOS, which is why he's off to GA. They do tank school with the Army. So far he loves it! Fun combat arms job that's a bit gentler than going infantry on his older Marine Corps body.
    What are you going to be doing for work? -- Econ or back to teaching? I remember you were such an inspiring teacher. Loved our coffee dates during OCS .

    I hope J likes the tanker community. DH still has no idea what he wants to do for his MOS (not that he really gets to choose anyway), but he always said that the tanker guys were really cool and laid back. Seems like the few I've met here at Fort Hood seem to be similar too. And so far they're all from the Midwest! How weird is that?!

    www.SnarkyFit.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •