Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: No idea what to title this as!

  1. Account Closed
    snordwall's Avatar
    snordwall is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Mine: Minnesota His: Virginia
    Posts
    22
    #1

    Confused No idea what to title this as!

    Advertisements
    First let me say that I hate Underways because he is unreachable. This leads up to the thought of his deployment coming up in June, which makes me want to stop everything and cry. I am and will do everything I can to make this LDR work, as he is worth every mile that separates us. The silence and no immediate contact is what I need to get use to, as it's going to be that way for a minimum of 6 months. No one told me how hard military relationships can be, until I got in one. The main reason I am writing this thread is that I am confused with all the abbreviations that they use. What are the most common used? Are they the same for each branch, or are they different? My manager likes to call him right in front of me (they are best friends), and since he is in the guards he knows the abbreviations. He uses them because he knows I have no clue as to what they mean.

    Sorry for the rambling, its the only way to describe my confusion. Can any of you help me with learning them, or at least the most common ones used?
  2. Senior Member
    villanelle's Avatar
    villanelle is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    14,790
    #2
    Different branches have different terms (though some are the same) and even within a branch, the different jobs use different terms and thus different acronyms. It's hard even to say which are most common, because it depends on what he's talking about, in addition to what job he does.

    Honestly, your best bet it to ask your DB as stuff comes up. If he's a decent guy he should be patient with him and be willing to stop for a moment and explain. Over time, you also learn to listen to the context and realize that sometimes it doesn't really matter as you can still understand the story, and other times, it is clearly important.

    Also, why is he unreachable during an underway? He should still have email access. He might not be able to get to it every day, but certainly every 2-3 days.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Account Closed
    snordwall's Avatar
    snordwall is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Mine: Minnesota His: Virginia
    Posts
    22
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Different branches have different terms (though some are the same) and even within a branch, the different jobs use different terms and thus different acronyms. It's hard even to say which are most common, because it depends on what he's talking about, in addition to what job he does.

    Honestly, your best bet it to ask your DB as stuff comes up. If he's a decent guy he should be patient with him and be willing to stop for a moment and explain. Over time, you also learn to listen to the context and realize that sometimes it doesn't really matter as you can still understand the story, and other times, it is clearly important.

    Also, why is he unreachable during an underway? He should still have email access. He might not be able to get to it every day, but certainly every 2-3 days.

    He does have access to email, it just takes a while for him to respond. When he is able to he always apologies as his work schedule is crazy. He usually has muster and then lookout. it may also be different per rank and he's a Petty Officer for the Machinist.
  4. Senior Member
    Curious_Nicole's Avatar
    Curious_Nicole is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,190
    #4
    You will learn the nuances of the abbreviations. Have DB use the abbreviation with the spelled out definition for awhile in emails and you will be amazed how quickly you catch on. It's like learning a language.

    No one told any of us how difficult a military relationship would be. The good news, you will learn how to deal with it!
  5. Senior Member
    Buckeye14's Avatar
    Buckeye14 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    VA Beach/Norfolk
    Posts
    374

    #5
    I'm prior Navy and my husband and brothers are still active so I might be able to help you. Feel free to message me or email me when you get enough posts.

    You can also check out this website Military Acronyms and Abbreviations - Acronym Finder to see if you can find it
  6. Senior Member
    idratherbehiking's Avatar
    idratherbehiking is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Arendelle
    Posts
    5,783
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by snordwall View Post
    First let me say that I hate Underways because he is unreachable. This leads up to the thought of his deployment coming up in June, which makes me want to stop everything and cry. I am and will do everything I can to make this LDR work, as he is worth every mile that separates us. The silence and no immediate contact is what I need to get use to, as it's going to be that way for a minimum of 6 months. No one told me how hard military relationships can be, until I got in one. The main reason I am writing this thread is that I am confused with all the abbreviations that they use. What are the most common used? Are they the same for each branch, or are they different? My manager likes to call him right in front of me (they are best friends), and since he is in the guards he knows the abbreviations. He uses them because he knows I have no clue as to what they mean.

    Sorry for the rambling, its the only way to describe my confusion. Can any of you help me with learning them, or at least the most common ones used?
    Some are the same and some are different.

    Ones that are the same:
    MOS (military occupational specialty)
    PCS (permanent change of station)
    TLF (temporary lodging facility)
    LES (Leave and Earnings Statement)
    DEERS (Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System)

    Ones that are branch specific (mostly what I picked up from reading this forum):
    Army: BCT, AIT, "Post", PX , DS
    Marines: "base", MCX, "boot camp", MCT, SOI, ITB, A School, DI
    Air Force: "base", BX, BMT, "tech school", TI
    Navy: "base", NEX, "boot camp", A school

    It's all learn as you go and as much as you want to know. My DH likes to talk about his job and he uses a lot of acronyms. Some I remember but most of them I don't. I use context clues to figure out an unfamiliar acronyms meaning or I just ask DH or google
    Last edited by idratherbehiking; 04-04-2016 at 09:50 PM.




  7. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    BraveLilToaster's Avatar
    BraveLilToaster is offline
    aka Milfon2Wheelz
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kings Bay Ga
    Posts
    10,109


    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    Some are the same and some are different.

    Ones that are the same:
    MOS (military occupational specialty)
    PCS (permanent change of station)
    TLF (temporary lodging facility)
    LES (Leave and Earnings Statement)
    DEERS (Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System)

    Ones that are branch specific (mostly what I picked up from reading this forum):
    Army: BCT, AIT, "Post", PX , DS
    Marines: "base", MCX, "boot camp", MCT, SOI, ITB, A School, DI
    Air Force: "base", BX, BMT, "tech school", TI
    Navy: "base", NEX, "boot camp", A school

    It's all learn as you go and as much as you want to know. My DH likes to talk about his job and he uses a lot of acronyms. Some I remember but most of them I don't. I use context clues to figure out an unfamiliar acronyms meaning or I just ask DH or google
    Actually in the Navy it is RTC training not boot camp and it is not an MOS in the Navy it is a rate.
  8. Senior Member
    idratherbehiking's Avatar
    idratherbehiking is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Arendelle
    Posts
    5,783
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    Actually in the Navy it is RTC training not boot camp and it is not an MOS in the Navy it is a rate.
    Thanks for clarifying some of the Navy terms/acronyms. My bad, I thought MOS was used by all the branches. Oops.

    OP, I it's not that necessary to know the other branches acronyms. I only learned what *very little* I know about the other branches so I could make sense of what the other members on this forum were talking about. But, up until I joined this site, I only knew Marine acronyms because that's all I had been exposed to for the first 6 years of DH'S career.
    Last edited by idratherbehiking; 04-05-2016 at 07:53 AM.




  9. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    BraveLilToaster's Avatar
    BraveLilToaster is offline
    aka Milfon2Wheelz
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kings Bay Ga
    Posts
    10,109


    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    Thanks for clarifying some of the Navy terms/acronyms. My bad, I thought MOS was used by all the branches. Oops.

    OP, I it's not that necessary to know the other branches acronyms. I only learned what *very little* I know about the other branches so I could make sense of what the other members on this forum were talking about. But, up until I joined this site, I only knew Marine acronyms because that's all I had been exposed to for the first 6 years of DH'S career.


    The Navy is weird. Any other branch it is boot camp or basic training but noooo the Navy calls it Recruit Training Command (RTC).
  10. Senior Member
    idratherbehiking's Avatar
    idratherbehiking is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Arendelle
    Posts
    5,783
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    The Navy is weird. Any other branch it is boot camp or basic training but noooo the Navy calls it Recruit Training Command (RTC).
    Yall fancy

    It seems it seems like every branch has an acronym for boot camp (RTC, BMT, BCT) but I don't know that the Marines have an acronym for it. I've always called it boot camp... they have a name/acronym for where the boot camp takes place (MCRD - Marine Corps Recruit Depot) and the training that follows has an acronym (MCT or SOI and later A school/C school). But not for the actual boot camp. Weird.




Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •