Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting out LDR

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Starting out LDR

Advertisements
    Has anyone here first start talking to their SO while they were deployed, and been successful? This is something that could be happening to me and I just wanted to know if I'm alone in it or not. Thanks!
  2. Senior Member
    We have lots of posters who come here in this situation. Unfortunately, I'd estimate that more than half of them end up being scams. So be very, very careful. "deployed military" seems to be a favorite of scammers and catfishers. Are you 100% sure this person is legit, and is a service member and everything else s/he says s/he is? It sucks to even have to think about this, but make sure you protect yourself!
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Regular Member
    I met my love while he was deployed! I also agree that you have to be careful, though.
  4. Senior Member
    I agree with everyone else. Please be careful and make sure they don't ask for any money.
    On another note I have never seen a online relationship start with a guy at home and a girl deployed. Most of the time the scams prey on women. Good luck! And I hope it works out.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I would be cautious of any red flags. Like others have said, we've seen our fair share of scammer relationships because they happen so frequently. I would just be careful but there is potential that this relationship can be successful. It just depends.
  6. Senior Member
    its def possible! But be cautious.

Good luck!!
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  7. Senior Member
    I met my husband online while he was overseas, he wasn't deployed though, just stationed in Germany. Skype with him so you know he's real lol, lots of scammers out there.
  8. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    UPDATE: He's definitely real, and not scamming me. We Skype all the time, I'll be there for his homecoming. I'm a little nervous because I know your feelings can fool you before you meet, but I am confident that not much will change. Can't wait for the future.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

exDB wasn't deployed but lived 6 hours away when we met through a mutual friend. (He had gone to college close to where I live) It's tough but doable if you want it to be. At least with deployment you have an end in sight. exDB and I weren't ever going to be in the same place unless I had moved where ever he got stationed after almost 2 years of boot camp and schooling. So yeah that didn't work out because of that

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceKyd View Post
    UPDATE: He's definitely real, and not scamming me. We Skype all the time, I'll be there for his homecoming. I'm a little nervous because I know your feelings can fool you before you meet, but I am confident that not much will change. Can't wait for the future.
    good luck to you!
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast