Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alone on his birthday

1. Regular Member

Alone on his birthday

Advertisements
    In a few days its his birthday. And it is the first birthday since we are in a relationship. We were talking a few days ago and he said something that make me feel him very lonely and sad. It kills me not to be able to do anything for him like backing a birthday cake or giving him a kiss etc because in my oppinion the birthday should be a happy day with a lot of family and friends around or at least the one you love. I sent him already a birthday care package with a necklace with a personal engraving, plus a additionally package for the christmas time with typical german christmas stuff. He waits to open both on his birthday. He said the packages and letters I sent him making him feel better and he likes it a lot.
    I think so hardly about what I could do to make it to a special day for him even I am 10.000 miles away like making a video etc.
    And next to all this I miss him so much these days and I am angry not being able just to take the next flight to show him that I am always here for him. I just feel like a child wanting a toy at the store and having a temper tantrum - I know this is not really a grown up behavior

Any ideas how I can make his birthday better or special from a huge distance?
  2. Senior Member
    DH and I have been together for over 5 years and he has never been home for his birthday. He has either been away at schools, training, or deployed.

When he was deployed I made a scrapbook for him. I think he was turning 23 or 24 at the time so I had friends and family hand write him letters wishing him happy birthday and then I put the letters into a scrapbook with pictures. I called it "23 letters for 23 years". I also made him birthday cake in a jar and sent that over as well.

Other times we have just waited and celebrated his birthday a few weeks early or late when we are able to be together.
  3. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RetepDoc View Post
    DH and I have been together for over 5 years and he has never been home for his birthday. He has either been away at schools, training, or deployed.

When he was deployed I made a scrapbook for him. I think he was turning 23 or 24 at the time so I had friends and family hand write him letters wishing him happy birthday and then I put the letters into a scrapbook with pictures. I called it "23 letters for 23 years". I also made him birthday cake in a jar and sent that over as well.

Other times we have just waited and celebrated his birthday a few weeks early or late when we are able to be together.
    Thank you for telling me that. This is new to me not to celebrate with the one I really want to share this day with.
    And I am about to make a scrapbook but this is planned as a gift for our anniversary.
    The idea with the letters are awesome but I donīt have contact to his family yet because they are living in the US and I havenīt been there yet.
    The cake in the jar is an awesome idea, so I need to check if its possible to sent that oversea.
    Are you doing it yourself?
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowflake5615 View Post
    Thank you for telling me that. This is new to me not to celebrate with the one I really want to share this day with.
    And I am about to make a scrapbook but this is planned as a gift for our anniversary.
    The idea with the letters are awesome but I donīt have contact to his family yet because they are living in the US and I havenīt been there yet.
    The cake in the jar is an awesome idea, so I need to check if its possible to sent that oversea.
    Are you doing it yourself?
    Yes, you can send the cakes overseas. When DH was deployed I mailed him all sorts of foods...pumpkin pie in a jar, Apple pie in a jar, cake in a jar, banana bread in a jar, zucchini bread in a jar, etc.

Here is a link for how to do it

http://spousebuzz.com/blog/2013/07/h...-in-a-jar.html
  5. Senior Member
    In a few days its his birthday. And it is the first birthday since we are in a relationship. We were talking a few days ago and he said something that make me feel him very lonely and sad. It kills me not to be able to do anything for him like backing a birthday cake or giving him a kiss etc because in my oppinion the birthday should be a happy day with a lot of family and friends around or at least the one you love. I sent him already a birthday care package with a necklace with a personal engraving, plus a additionally package for the christmas time with typical german christmas stuff. He waits to open both on his birthday. He said the packages and letters I sent him making him feel better and he likes it a lot.
    I think so hardly about what I could do to make it to a special day for him even I am 10.000 miles away like making a video etc.
    And next to all this I miss him so much these days and I am angry not being able just to take the next flight to show him that I am always here for him. I just feel like a child wanting a toy at the store and having a temper tantrum - I know this is not really a grown up behavior

Any ideas how I can make his birthday better or special from a huge distance?
    I think what you've done so far is perfect. Maybe you could buy him tickets to something so he could go out on his birthday.

When we first got together, DH missed 3 of my birthdays in a row due to out of state military training. It was hard not having him there, but he made me feel special by sending me things he could order online. (One birthday I got flowers and an iPod).

I think anything you send your SO will be just fine.

6. Regular Member
    you girls are just awesome. It helps me so much and I feel inspired. Thank you

Do you know maybe if I can order on US sites and sent it to his adress but paying with a german card?
  7. Senior Member
    you girls are just awesome. It helps me so much and I feel inspired. Thank you

Do you know maybe if I can order on US sites and sent it to his adress but paying with a german card?
    I'm not sure. I know a lot of US sites say they can only ship in the US, but I'm not sure if your billing address matters. Is your card from one of the four major companies (Visa, AmEx, Master, Discover)? I think it would be best to call or email the website's customer service line so they can give you a better answer.

8. Regular Member
    Thank you, yes my card is one of them. I couldnīt ordered him something because he is stationed in a military hospital and they might wonīt accept orders from oversea? so I need to get some informations how and where to order gifts in this case. Maybe I am even not able to order something from the base because I am a civilist and not married to him.
  9. Regular Member
    So sorry girls. My mind is not in order. This was actually an answer to another post since my boyfriend is in a hospital. I am not well and worried so I guess this is why I posted it on the wrong place
  10. Senior Member
    You should send it to where he lives (his home address) and not his work address.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast