Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left for Japan

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Left for Japan

Advertisements
    Hey everyone!

Just as I thought things would get easier and I feel mentally stronger, I have broken down many times and have cried so much to the point of where I can't anymore..

My wife has left for Japan for which seems like forever from now. I can deal with the distance.. I'm just worried for communication, and how our schedules with flip a complete 360. And when will I ever be able to see her again.. Japan is super far and not to mention super expensive for a round trip ticket to visit or even just for emergencies. It's been really quiet at home and the silence is deadly. I've been doing a lot of activities and have been keeping occupied but it seems as though all emotions still sneak their way in to take over.

How do you cope? Any advice? Will things be difficult, harder? I'm just glad this isn't deployment, but sheesh!
  2. aBr
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I don't have any advice for distance that far, as my SO is only 3 time zones away, but there are some ladies here who have dealt with or are still dealing with geo-bachelor living situations. Is that what you two are doing, or are you going later on?
  3. Senior Member
    My husband was in Japan for almost a year before I went to be with him. It was really tough at first. Honestly staying busy is the thing that helped most. Surround yourself with positive friends and try to save up for visits if possible. Some days it's going to be hard and that's okay. Just remember you will be together again and this distance will not last forever. Lots of to you!
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Many to you. I've been LDR from Boston to Guam for a year and a half now, and it isn't easy, but it's doable. Like Palindrome says, remember it's only temporary. And I'm the mean time, keep busy doing things you enjoy.
  5. Senior Member
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  6. Senior Member
    Yeah I agree with PP some days it will be super hard. Thankfully, nowadays we have technology. You can text, Skype, call, email, and write letters among other things. I am in Hawaii right now and DF is in the middle east for deployment and the time diff is like a flip like yours. We communicate mostly by email and Skype whenever the time is matched up... which is rarely. In the long run, the time apart is just a blip in the time that you are together... and soon you will be back together. It's just a matter of perspective and attitude. Soon as I realized this, I changed my perspective and attitude... it helped me feel better. good luck!
  7. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by usafgf92 View Post
    I don't have any advice for distance that far, as my SO is only 3 time zones away, but there are some ladies here who have dealt with or are still dealing with geo-bachelor living situations. Is that what you two are doing, or are you going later on?
    Aww thank you for the support anyway! But I hope you and your SO are doing good despite the time difference! My wife's orders were unaccompanied for 2 years.. It looks like I'll be stuck at home until she can come back Stateside, or wherever her PSC will be next!
  8. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by *Palindrome* View Post
    My husband was in Japan for almost a year before I went to be with him. It was really tough at first. Honestly staying busy is the thing that helped most. Surround yourself with positive friends and try to save up for visits if possible. Some days it's going to be hard and that's okay. Just remember you will be together again and this distance will not last forever. Lots of to you!

Oh wow! A year is such a long time. I give it up to you, it seems so far from now.. Were his orders unaccompanied as well? I remember my wife telling me that the higher ups told her that since she is not an E4 or above, they wouldn't prioritize me to stay with her. Which I don't mind to be honest. I just keep hearing different reasons as to why I couldn't come with her! Nevertheless I love staying Stateside and it's a little difficult to be able to connect with any friends here.. They just don't understand. You're right, distance will not last forever and I'll do my best to make sure communication will be key!
  9. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by CourtLove View Post
    Many to you. I've been LDR from Boston to Guam for a year and a half now, and it isn't easy, but it's doable. Like Palindrome says, remember it's only temporary. And I'm the mean time, keep busy doing things you enjoy.
    A year and a half!? Well, sheesh! That is crazy long.. How does it feel?! How was your journey and is there anything you wish you could've done different with the year and a half of long distance? And yes, this is only temporary.. I definitely hope my wife will be able to communicate.. The Marine Corps have been really tough on her and so much more strict than ever before. It scares me sometimes! Especially with how the higher ups have told her to be prepared to get used to deploying a lot. I'll do my best to stay busy.. It gets so boring!
  10. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by irish85 View Post
    Thank you for your support!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast