Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: LDL-Good or Bad?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

LDL-Good or Bad?

Advertisements
    It's funny how I didn't realize that DB and I are in a LDR until 2 months into our relationship. To me, that was just us, our reality. I happily hopped in the car Friday after work to make the 3.5 hour drive to see him only to drive 3.5 hours back Sunday night to be back at work Monday morning. What I have noticed though is the toll it has taken on me in both good and bad ways. I can't speak for DB on how he handles the separation but for me it's a constant struggle. I already battle with Bipolar Disorder as it is so I have to constantly rely on my positive coping skills when I am struggling. I get sad alot just because I miss him and yes I'm doing to boohoo crap that I miss him even though he's sort of close by, but it's also been good for me. Before I met DB I lost about 50 pounds and I felt great but its crazy to me that him being far away has helped me lose more weight too lol! The sadness I feel from missing him makes me want to run away so that's what I do. Crazy enough when I start to feel lonely and sad, I lace up my shoes and just run until I can't anymore. I know it sounds weird but am I the only one who has had the downsides of a long distance relationship help them grow as a person? Wow. I just completely rambled. Sorry guys!
  2. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    I think being in a long distance relationship can help you grow as a person. When my ex and I were somewhat long-distance (about 1.5 hours away and we only saw each other every other weekend) and when he was deployed, I found that I was able to accomplish a lot because I wasn't distracted by seeing him all the time. I set out to accomplish my own goals and they were independent of him and our relationship.
  3. Senior Member
    I agree, I think it can help you grow as a person. DH and I were LDR for quite some time, he was in Japan and I was in VA. I've always struggled with anxiety and I never thought I'd be moving across the world to be with him. Or flying 14 hours alone. It also helped me realize that I need to take care of myself too. So I definitely agree that it can help you grow as a person.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

My LDR has definitely helped me improve myself. Before this, I was always very dependent on my boyfriends, it was unhealthy, but I honestly thought that was just who I was. But when I fell for DB, I realized I had to change and I've become so much more independent and it feels amazing! LDR still sucks, and I don't prefer it, but I'm seriously proud of myself for handling it. My relationships with friends and family have also gotten better and richer which is nice as well.
  5. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by CourtLove View Post
    My LDR has definitely helped me improve myself. Before this, I was always very dependent on my boyfriends, it was unhealthy, but I honestly thought that was just who I was. But when I fell for DB, I realized I had to change and I've become so much more independent and it feels amazing! LDR still sucks, and I don't prefer it, but I'm seriously proud of myself for handling it. My relationships with friends and family have also gotten better and richer which is nice as well.
    Yes! I forgot to mention that! I found that my friendships became much stronger and closer because I wasn't focused 100% on my SO, which I used to do. LDRs can be pretty good for making you be a good person to your friends
  6. Senior Member
    Yes def agree with pp. With db in texas and me in Ny ive taken this time to really concentrate on school, work on loosing weight and spending time with my family and friends.
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  7. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    Being so far from my bf and not being able to easily communicate with him is forcing me to continue to develop my patience and work on my trust issues. I had to decide whether or not I would trust that what he was saying was the truth and to be patient with his crazy schedule. I have committed to doing both but it's something I struggle with. On the flip side, this gives me more time to devote to school and to cultivating relationships with my friends and family. I'll also be getting back to working out, especially since he started a new exercise program too.