Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Depression may be coming back

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Depression may be coming back

Advertisements
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. Thought it's worth a shot though.

My boyfriend and I have been dating for 2 years long distance. He's stationed at Fort Lewis in Tacoma, while I attend school in North Florida. He is currently at the Army National Training Center. I won't have any contact with him in a few days. Coincidentally, I believe I have just relapsed into my depression. I have history with it, and it has been dormant for years. However, I have noticed the tell-tale signs coming back.
    I can't tell if my "mood" is related to him being at NTC, or if it's just random. Additionally, I strongly feel the need to tell him, however, I know that if I do tell him, he will have a difficult job focusing while out in the field. I feel like I just can't do that to him.

Thoughts?

Thanks <3
  2. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Make a plan to address the depression, and THEN tell him.

"hey dear, I just wanted to let you know that I feel like my depression may be coming back. However, I made an appointment with a therapist/joined an exercise class/am getting an anti-depressant prescription to work on it so you don't need to worry."
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post

"hey dear, I just wanted to let you know that I feel like my depression may be coming back. However, I made an appointment with a therapist/joined an exercise class/am getting an anti-depressant prescription to work on it so you don't need to worry."
    This is a good idea.

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  4. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    From someone who battles it on a daily basis, I completely understand. I would for sure get an plan of action. One of the things that has always helped me has been to have a plan of action in case I do get in a slump. For example if I notice it, I get on Pinterest look at DIY stuff I want to try, if that doesn't sound too appealing I turn on music and usually get moving. Honestly action is the big key, depression is all about not doing anything.

As for the DB I agree with Lizz, get a plan in place and then let him know. Make sure you tell him you didn't want to keep out of the loop but you also didn't want him to worry.
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I feel like I am in the same boat you are. For me, it started off being a little lonely, but it's getting tough, and DH will be away for another little while. Something that has really helped me get through is a Gratitude Journal. For real, getting a notebook and actually writing in it (or a smartphone app!) Right now it's full of things like, "I'm grateful that I got to talk to him this week", but there's also some smaller, silly things like, "I'm grateful that my hair wasn't in a terribly snarled knot when I woke up this morning, just a slightly snarled knot". It helps me think about and focus on the good. It helps me fall asleep too because it fills me with some peace instead of heartbreak. It takes some practice and dedication, but it pays off for me!

Hope this helps!
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post

Agreed.
  7. Regular Member
    I have always struggled with depression. Having DF here made things easier... I could lay down in his arms and cry my eyes out and know I'm not alone. Now... it's so hard. But here are some things I have tried that have helped a little

- Find something to be thankful for. I know it's cheesy and cliche but it truly works, there are psych experiments on it

- Remember that this is as bad as it gets. Granted, life will be hard again, but by then you will be able to talk to him again. This too shall pass.

I'll post more as I think of them

Anyways... I know how bad depression can be. I nearly killed myself at my lowest point and ended up in the hospital. It comes back to haunt me some times but just lay down, cry it out, sleep, watch some netflix, journal your feelings/be artsy a little, and just take it easy. Breathe, take baby steps. Everything will be okay, even if it is hard. Just take it one day, one hour at a time. You have so many people caring for you it's crazy. (btw if you need advice for meds or just want to talk my door is open )