Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Wedding Planning: Long Distance Version

1. Regular Member

Love Wedding Planning: Long Distance Version

Advertisements
    Hello ladies!

I could use some sweet sweet advice! So I am a military contractor and my fiance is currently in the Army Reserves but will be going active after we get married. At this moment I am between contract positions but in about a week I am heading back to Germany for work and he will still be here in Indiana.

I'll be getting back early September and our wedding is mid October. Any advice on how to finish planning a wedding long distance with fiance in charge at home? I want to make sure everything gets done but I also don't want to spend all of our time talking wedding while I'm gone.

So for all of you lovely people out there who have planned a wedding long distance what is your advice? Thanks so much!
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aebarlow14 View Post
    Hello ladies!

I could use some sweet sweet advice! So I am a military contractor and my fiance is currently in the Army Reserves but will be going active after we get married. At this moment I am between contract positions but in about a week I am heading back to Germany for work and he will still be here in Indiana.

I'll be getting back early September and our wedding is mid October. Any advice on how to finish planning a wedding long distance with fiance in charge at home? I want to make sure everything gets done but I also don't want to spend all of our time talking wedding while I'm gone.

So for all of you lovely people out there who have planned a wedding long distance what is your advice? Thanks so much!
    Do you guys have a close mutual friend or family member that is equally as interested in your wedding? If there is another person around that is willing, you could ask them to check in and help keep your fiancé on track. I'm currently wedding planning and while DH is deployed, I'm doing 100% of the work. I'll ask him questions or get input but the deal was that he doesn't have to help until he gets back. Unfortunately, with weddings there are a lot of conversations that need to be had. I would expect to spend a lot of time talking about the wedding while you are gone.
  3. Senior Member
    Haven't had to do it (yet, though the way life is going for me and DB, I think we may be planning from a distance)- but my advice would be to come up with a list of the things that need to get done, with a timeline of when it needs to be done by. You may already have something like this, but that way he at least knows what he should be doing and when. And I agree with above, anyone else that you trust to help make decisions and keep him on track sounds like a good idea! Good luck!
  4. Senior Member
    Nearly our entire wedding was planned while we were in FL. Wedding was in CA. Do you have someone local willing to do some leg work for you? My mom is the one who checked out venues (I found them online and she visited the top candidates), interviewed photographers, and booked our bakery. (We did tasting later to select our specific cake, but she found someone in our price range and able to do what we wanted, and booked them so we were on their calendar.)

If you have a family member in town, you could enlist her to do some of this sort of work so your DH doesn't have to, or so he has some back up.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski