Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: How to deal when leave is up?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

How to deal when leave is up?

Advertisements
    Hi everyone. My DF just finished up his leave here today, and I am total mess! He has been in four and almost a half years, so I should be used to this but I'm not. The hard part is we usually go 9-12 months without seeing each other before he can take leave again. His base is so far away, and a plane ticket is super expensive. I would like to go visit him, but it would be so expensive and I don't have the money right now. I know I'll feel better in a few days, but it's been so hard for me today because I was used to him being here! I just need a few tips to help me survive these next few days! Also, I was curious about people's experiences with orders. DF said he could get orders in August, which could go really good or really bad. Do a lot of people get orders to a different base right after they do their four years there? His base is one where most people try to transfer out, so I know that probably affects things too.
    Last edited by Egr1001; 05-28-2015 at 05:31 PM.
  2. Senior Member
    Is your boyfriend overseas? Is that why it's so hard to visit? The first few days after saying goodbye do suck. Just try hard to stay busy to keep your mind off of things. Then you'll settle back into your old routine and things will go back to normal.

So he's nearing the end of his first enlistment right? DH had been at the same base for 4 years; so, when he re-enlisted, he requested orders to a different base (IDK if other branches do that but the Marines do).

By the way, Welcome! You should head over to the Newbies section and introduce yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Egr1001 View Post
    Hi everyone. My DF just finished up his leave here today, and I am total mess! He has been in four and almost a half years, so I should be used to this but I'm not. The hard part is we usually go 9-12 months without seeing each other before he can take leave again. His base is so far away, and a plane ticket is super expensive. I would like to go visit him, but it would be so expensive and I don't have the money right now. I know I'll feel better in a few days, but it's been so hard for me today because I was used to him being here! I just need a few tips to help me survive these next few days! Also, I was curious about people's experiences with orders. DF said he could get orders in August, which could go really good or really bad. Do a lot of people get orders to a different base right after they do their four years there? His base is one where most people try to transfer out, so I know that probably affects things too.

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Stay busy, try to do you, pamper yourself, love yourself, throw yourself into a hobby or volunteering or something. Keep your mind off of it

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Brite View Post
    There needs to be a blowing rainbows, sunshine, butterflies, and happiness up an asshole smiley.
    ]
  4. Senior Member
    I was right where you are 4 weeks ago. I know its extremely hard but like everyone else said, try to keep yourself busy and just be thankful you got to spend time together! It took me about 4 days to fully get myself together again.

Hope all works out!
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thanks everyone! He's not overseas, just halfway across the country from me. I guess I might be taking it harder this time because I usually have a job and college to keep me busy, but I recently graduated and am in the process of looking for one and I have nothing else to do but sit at home lol. He signed up for six years, so he still has a little while to go. We've done LDR this whole time, and I think out of four years I've seen him four times for about a month each time. just getting tough on both of us!
  6. Senior Member
    Only 4 times in four years? Wow. Can y'all alternate flying out to see each other? If he's been in for four years then he should have the leave for that. Idk what you're paying, but for the past 7 years, I've always lived more than 1,500 miles away from home and my tickets usually cost between $300-$400. I only go home once or twice a year, but I also have to get DH's ticket and find a place for my dogs so it's always a hassle. But if you could switch off that would make things a little easier for you.

Thanks everyone! He's not overseas, just halfway across the country from me. I guess I might be taking it harder this time because I usually have a job and college to keep me busy, but I recently graduated and am in the process of looking for one and I have nothing else to do but sit at home lol. He signed up for six years, so he still has a little while to go. We've done LDR this whole time, and I think out of four years I've seen him four times for about a month each time. just getting tough on both of us!
    ETA my stipid phone makes it hard to quote