Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Why are LDRs so hard?!

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Why are LDRs so hard?!

Advertisements
    So I was supposed to be visiting my boyfriend tomorrow and staying with him for a whole week because it's my spring break next week, but he just told me that I might not be able to come! Even though he took leave for the entire week, he just found out that he has two 8 hour long classes while I'll be there and a whole bunch of appointments that he just found out about today. I'm guessing all of the appointments are because he will be deploying soon. Even though he should only be deployed for about a month, it just really sucks because I won't be able to see him again until my summer break which is months away! I just don't know how I'm gonna be able to deal with this. Has anyone else had a similar situation like this?? If so how did you guys deal with it??
  2. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Be thankful that you will get to see him in the summer! Mine has been gone for months and won't be back for 7-8 more!

However, I don't understand why you can't go. So what if he goes to appointments at least you can spend some time together. My BF did the same thing though...they get all wrapped up in their life and tend to compartmentalize us. We can fit both things in. They can't. What if you go for just a few days? If that is not feasible then maybe set up some skype dates one or two nights during that week and watch a movie together.

Or, just tell him you are going to go somewhere with your girlfriends and go have fun!!! He may change his mind then

Unfortunately, I think being with a military man means making sacrifices (more than normal). I'm still learning how to deal with it. Hang in there!
  3. Senior Member
    That sucks! I totally hate that feeling when you've waited so long for that moment, only to be pushed back again. It's like I'd rather know it'll be in the summer so I can set my mind for it, than get excited over something and have it taken away. I hear you on that.

Though, can you still not see him even if he's busy? I know he has other things to do, but since you don't, can't you just visit him and do what you would have done at home if you didn't visit him? Binge watch, walk around the mall, something? At least when you visit him, he may not see you for the entire day, but he can still come home to you. Also if he has appointments, if you're allowed, then you can wait along with him.

This is what happened to me a few times. Last summer, my DB visited me for his 2 weeks leave, but just because he has the time, it doesn't mean that I do. I took a few days off, but my crazy schedule continued. I took him to presentations with me. I took him to meetings with me (the ones I could). I took him to this one group project, where he sat there watching me edit things until 3am in the morning, then I went to work the next day early in the morning.

On his last visit, he was on another 2 weeks leave. I only managed to book 2 days vacation because it was so last minute. I only had him for the weekend and those extra days off and to be honest, just coming home to him is the bestest thing in the world. For him, not having to do anything at all was the bestest vacation in the world lol. What he did instead we'd meet for my lunch time and just go to the food court. Then he comes back a few hours later to pick me up from work...so we get to go home together.

Will you be able to do that?
  4. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    I think I will still be able to visit him. He was just worried about how he would be able to get me back to the airport because he had class on that day. I was looking forward to just being able to spend all day with him with no interruptions for an entire week. But I don't care that he has appointments, I still wanna go lol.
  5. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Yeah i was so mad at him when he said he doesn't know if I would be able to come but he was just worried about how we would get me back to the airport because he has class for 8 hours on the same day. I told him I don't care about him having appointments and that I still wanna come.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thatgirljordann View Post
    Yeah i was so mad at him when he said he doesn't know if I would be able to come but he was just worried about how we would get me back to the airport because he has class for 8 hours on the same day. I told him I don't care about him having appointments and that I still wanna come.
    Check Google map, is there a way for you to commute to the airport? Take the train? Is it far? If you can show to him that you'll manage just fine without him, then he may feel more at ease with you going ahead to see him.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by thatgirljordann View Post
    Possible solutions -
    go up a day early and get a hotel for the night, use their shuttle to the airport to catch your flight
    have a friend of his drive you to the airport
    look into airport shuttles running from where he is stationed to the airport - it might cost you a bit and you may have to change your plans to fit the shuttle schedule, but it's an option - even hours from the airport you can find this sort of service, especially running to/from a destination such as a town centered around a military installation, etc.
    rent a car and drive yourself to the airport