Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to all of this! Need advice!!

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

New to all of this! Need advice!!

Advertisements
    My boyfriend just left on Sunday to his new duty station. He'll be in Germany for two years roughly! The whole military lifestyle is very new and I'm having a real difficult time adjusting. He's only been gone for a couple of days, and I'm so so so anxious because I don't know when I'll get to hear from him again. How long should I expect not to hear from him? It's also a difficult transition because I just moved to St. Louis from Ohio, so I'm like seven hours away from my family and I have very few friends that I've met here and I have no one to talk to, which is why I joined! I guess you can say I've been an emotional wreck!
    Any advice on how to keep myself sane till he comes home or different ways to keep myself busy???

Thank you!
  2. Regular Member
    and welcome!!
    I'm dealing with a long distance relationship too. My bf is in Japan for another year. He left in August. The worst part is the first couple weeks, but eventually you will get into a routine... although it never gets easy but some days are better than others.

In regards to when you will hear from him, I don't know how Europe or the Air Force works, but my bf is a Marine and they actually gave him a new iphone to use, which works for texting here. I hope the same for you!! I would try an email for the time being though until he completely knows what's going on/ to be expected, which I'm sure will happen soon! Did he let you know when he got there?

Always here to talk and listen!!
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    welcome!!
    My DF just left for Korea a weekish ago for a year. SO we are in this one together! haha.
    Germany is amazing, i spent a few years there when my dad was in the Army and I have a lot of family there. Where is he stationed?
    It can be a week before you hear any sign of life from him. Also- His phone will NOT work over there.
    Until he gets set up with a cell plan- he will be stuck finding wifi. good luck with that in Germany. They don't have a lot of it.
    But what I do to keep in touch with my family in germany is text using an app called WhatsAp. Any smartphone can get it. and its free - just data usage. and we talk via facetime/skype. Wayyyy cheaper than getting an international phone plan.
    You must must visit him! & let me know if y'all need any ideas on where to go
  4. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    I know he said before he left that we would have to facebook for the first couple of weeks. As far as a new phone, I don't know lol he did mentioned before he left that he would have to get a prepaid card for texting, calling, and data.
    And no, I haven't heard from him since he left the airport so I have no clue if he made it there okay I sent him a message on fb but until he gets that prepaid card we can't communicate
  5. Regular Member
    I agree with that!! WhatsApp is awesome!!

But hang in there!! I'm sure he's just getting settled and will contact as soon as he can!!
  6. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    He told me that once he got settled in over there and got familiar with the area he was going to fly my out there! I'm so excited! He's stationed at Spangdahlem
  7. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Welcome to the forum. Did your boyfriend take a computer or smart phone or anything with him? He should be able to access wifi very easily to contact you.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AF_love View Post
    My boyfriend just left on Sunday to his new duty station. He'll be in Germany for two years roughly! The whole military lifestyle is very new and I'm having a real difficult time adjusting. He's only been gone for a couple of days, and I'm so so so anxious because I don't know when I'll get to hear from him again. How long should I expect not to hear from him? It's also a difficult transition because I just moved to St. Louis from Ohio, so I'm like seven hours away from my family and I have very few friends that I've met here and I have no one to talk to, which is why I joined! I guess you can say I've been an emotional wreck!
    Any advice on how to keep myself sane till he comes home or different ways to keep myself busy???

Thank you!
    Welcome!! It's never easy in the beginning, do you have any hobbies or books you want to catch up on? I depend on my friends and my obsession with crafting to get through the rough times. Just because your friends are not near you doesn't mean they can't support you! With time you will find ways to cope. After you get into the swing of things it just becomes second nature.

For contact it really depends... My DH was able to contact me within 12 hours of landing in Korea but I've heard other people who have had to wait for a few days, up to a week in other cases. I have a friend who has a boyfriend in Germany. He has been there for almost 2 years and will be back shortly. They have done wonderfully and she has never had issues contacting him. I hope you are able to get into contact soon
  9. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    So I find it weird that my computer said he was online (on fb) but hasn't read any of messages that I have sent or heard anything from him. :/
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AF_love View Post
    So I find it weird that my computer said he was online (on fb) but hasn't read any of messages that I have sent or heard anything from him. :/
    Facebook lies.

No, really. Facebook shows my DH online all the time even when he is far away from his phone or computer. He may be logged on but not actually on there. Looking at Facebook messenger will be your demise! Trust that he will communicate with you as soon as he can. DH told me that when he first arrived in Korea that the only thing on his mind was contacting me. He actually used somebody else's phone to text me that he had arrived safely and was going to get on WiFi as soon as possible. Trust in your DB
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast