Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Long flight!?!

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Long flight!?!

Advertisements
    Visiting DB in Guam!! I'm going over New Years So excited but NOT looking forward to the flights. Boston to Houston to Honolulu to Guam. I've been on 12 hour flights before, but this trip literally takes 22 hours. So, what are some good ways to pass the time?! I will definitely be sleeping, hopefully with some tranquilizer strength meds, I'll have my laptop also. Any tips or ideas are much appreciated
  2. Senior Member
    I always take a good book. Usually on the long flights they have movies you can watch in the headrest of the seat in front of you. I usually take word finds but dont hardly ever do them. I also like to take a notebook and make lists of things I need to do, but I am lame like that

Good luck on the flights! And for getting to see DB!!!
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Katarina View Post
    I always take a good book. Usually on the long flights they have movies you can watch in the headrest of the seat in front of you. I usually take word finds but dont hardly ever do them. I also like to take a notebook and make lists of things I need to do, but I am lame like that

Good luck on the flights! And for getting to see DB!!!
    Haha, all great ideas! I love lists, I usually make a ton on my phone haha. Thanks, I'm SO excited to seee him!!
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I just found shows I wanted to see on the in-flight TV and marathoned a few. Their selection of movies and TV shows was surprisingly good. Also brought my kindle, my iPod, and a book of crosswords. DH made fun of me about the crosswords but he got bored too and started doing them with me.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CourtLove View Post
    Haha, all great ideas! I love lists, I usually make a ton on my phone haha. Thanks, I'm SO excited to seee him!!
    I bring a ton of books (on my Kindle). I find that I can't read anything super heavy, usually, so I pick lighter books that require less concentration. A magazine is usually good for about an hour. And definitely plan on a movie or two, at least.

Sort little games (sudoku, crosswords, whatever you are into) are good because you can do them in fits and starts, so consider buying a book (not too huge) of those and bringing a couple sharpened pencils. You can also download some games to your phone. Consider some sort of external phone charger for your travel bag. I have a small one that takes batteries and it adds a full charge to my phone so I can get a lot more use out of it any game apps.

Also, make sure you are comfortable. Most planes are cold, especially long distance flights. I always have at least one extra layer. I also have a pair of slippers I can put on (and always wear socks on travel day) for cold feet, and a pair of shoes I can slip on and off easily.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Thanks ladies! I don't have any type of tablet, but I think I'll borrow my sisters, usually I don't mind bringing an actual book, but I know ill want to read more and don't want the added weight. Sticking to lighter books is a great idea, I probably won't have the concentration for anything too heavy. I'll definitely be getting on Wi-Fi and DB said the plane has power sources.
  7. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Quote Originally Posted by CourtLove View Post
    Thanks ladies! I don't have any type of tablet, but I think I'll borrow my sisters, usually I don't mind bringing an actual book, but I know ill want to read more and don't want the added weight. Sticking to lighter books is a great idea, I probably won't have the concentration for anything too heavy. I'll definitely be getting on Wi-Fi and DB said the plane has power sources.
    I would contact the airline directly concerning outlets... When I flew to Germany this fall, my flight on Luftshansa had them but my United flight home did not. Same goes for wifi. I purchased this portable charger and it was fabulous. http://www.amazon.com/Lepow-U-Stone-...+charger+stone

Be Sure to stay hydrated... Lots of water, very few carbonated beverages.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    I would contact the airline directly concerning outlets... When I flew to Germany this fall, my flight on Luftshansa had them but my United flight home did not. Same goes for wifi. I purchased this portable charger and it was fabulous. http://www.amazon.com/Lepow-U-Stone-...+charger+stone

Be Sure to stay hydrated... Lots of water, very few carbonated beverages.
    I will definitely check, thanks! Yea, united flights seem to be the cheapest and the worst IMO. I wanted a Hawaiian air flight but they're a lot more expensive. Thanks for the tip on the charger! I've been looking for one I want.