Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: New and challenging..

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Help New and challenging..

Advertisements
    I'm not only new to military relationships, this being my only one I've ever had, but I'm also new to long distance.. I've dealt with about 4hrs separating an SO and I, but never hundreds of miles. All of this is so much harder than I ever imagined. I miss my DB more than I could describe, which I'm sure many of you are used to. Even harder is the distance between us is going to get worse, much worse, before it gets any better. And these weeks where my DB is completely unable to communicate (call, text, skype, write, anything) are so painful.. Can anyone please offer me methods of coping with this all? I've been trying to whole journaling thing and writing "letters" about what I wish I could talk to him about even though I can't send them to him. I have a fun little countdown going until I get to see him next. It's just not helping. I'm just so lost and really struggling on how to keep my head up when I miss him so so much. I have no one here who gets how I feel other than his mom, who is an incredible woman BTW, but we hardly get time to talk to each other about any of this. I just really need some help and support in dealing and becoming more accustomed to all of this.
  2. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you

Is your DB in boot camp? Why can't you send letters - has he just arrived there, or do you not have his address? Either way it won't go on forever!

Do you have any hobbies, or are you in school? Try and find things to fill your time. Volunteer, take a class, exercise, train for a 5k, just get out there and have fun! The time will start to pass soon.
  3. Regular Member
    As a wife who just got done with my DH being at basic it gets better. I assume that is where he is at?
    Just keep writing, keep busy, and really make sure you keep amazing positive people around you.
    My family and good friends were a god send because any time I was close to breaking down they were there to lift me up.
    Though the distance sucks once you see him it will make that time you spent apart feel like nothing.
    Wise advice that was given to me is that in the grand scheme of things 2 months is nothing out of a life time that y'all have together.
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    He's currently at RTAC in preparation for starting Ranger school. I get to see him the day between RTAC and actually starting Ranger School, but literally only for a day then who knows when after that. After Ranger school he's going to Fort Bliss in Texas; I'm in NC. We have no idea how long he will be in Texas which makes things even harder. We have no idea how long we'll have to be apart.

I did have hobbies and things to fill my time, but four days after he left for Ft Benning I had a major surgery and have since then been either stuck in bed or on crutches barely able to walk. That kind of limits my participation in various hobbies that I used to enjoy.