Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: New Love in Boot

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

New Love in Boot

Advertisements
    My story: My husband of less then a month is about to go to MEPS and is at very high risk of going right to basic from MEPS. We have been each others best friends for over 5 years and we are very very very much in love. We met because my brother Jason and him fought fires together and my husband (Seth) decided he really liked me from seeing my profile of my brothers fb and kinda started stalking me in a cute way. It took me awhile to feel the same, but I realized that I love him and did not want to live without him. We are expecting our first child a boy Christopher in October, so it is really hard for me knowing that he is going to be gone at the birth of our child. We moved to Virginia were his mom and stepdad are so I would have help, but I have not really made any friends here so its really just kind of me which is hard. I was excited at first thinking it would be awhile before he took off. But now I am doing everything I can to not let him see me upset about him leaving let alone letting him see how much I am crying about him leaving. I am trying to be as supportive as I can. I keep myself busy doing some volunteer work, and ALWAYS reorganizing to room plus getting ready for christoper, but as the day gets closer it is getting harder to hold myself together. I am not good at saying goodbye. Even though it is for a short time, he is still my world and we have not really ever been apart like this for more then a few hours....
  2. Moderator

Welcome!!

I know it seems like a long time, but you will get through this! It's awesome that you are keeping yourself busy and focused too.
  3. Senior Member
    Even if he didn't leave straight from MEPS, you'd still do the waiting thing. That's what I did. He went to MEPS in Oct and just left for Ft Benning last month. I was pretty much fine, like nothing was different until like February when that long delay was suddenly right in front of me.

DH can also ask to Be in the DEP to give you some room to prepare. I think typically unless he requests it they won't take him straight away. He has responsibilities, a job, wife, car, etc, there's a lot he needs to take care of before leaving, even packing is very specific. I think he can even request waiting until after the baby's born. He'll probably swear in as long as he doesn't have to get any waivers, etc.

Just stay busy and definitely be strong and supportive. I can't be anything but proud of DB.

Welcome!

that's just my experience with MEPS and leaving.
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Well I am kind of happy, the position that he wanted that would send him from MEPS he was 5 points from being qualified, he is a little upset but I did a happy dance in my head. He is trying to get in asap so we can get all benefits and the pay so I can start saving and getting baby stuff. Plus we want to get it over with.
  5. Senior Member

I'm not sure what job he is trying to get. However the average wait time before bootcamp in the Navy these days is about 6-9 months from MEPS to bootcamp.

6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    What rate is he trying to get? And what will he try for now?

I wasn't with DH when he went to boot and that was a long time ago anyways so that was a different time anyways. Shoot his A-school was in Memphis and now it is in Pensacola. Been like that for awhile now, too. lol Some things may have changed but DH was a RDC for 3.5 years so I can try to answer as many questions as possible for you. Also, you may have doubts and concerns now, but you are stronger and much more able than you know. You will be surprised with what you can do yourself. But you are also near his family now so take advantage of that support.

What part of VA? We were in Virginia Beach for about 4.5 years. Just moved in March. DH was in a squadron at Oceana.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HazeGray View Post
    I'm not sure what job he is trying to get. However the average wait time before bootcamp in the Navy these days is about 6-9 months from MEPS to bootcamp.
    Yeah, this.

DH was almost a full year (that was 4 years ago but I think the state of the Navy is the same...), and he took a different rate because it was going to me much longer for the other rate he wanted.

I'd also caution you from being too excited about him not getting into the rate he wants, the Navy(actually any job) can be pretty terrible if you hate your job...nothing worse in life than hating the thing you do for more than half of your waking hours. Hopefully he can find something else he wants to do, don't worry about the training involved or the deployments he might go on...it is much better than having him hate work AND be separated from his loved ones.