Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: First week without him

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

First week without him

Advertisements
    It's been one week since my DB left for California, with me still in Illinois. I didn't realize how much I would miss him. It's been very quiet around the house, except for the dog jumping up and running to the door every time she thinks he's coming up the apartment stairs. Her and I have Skyped with DB twice, she's finally figured out that his voice is coming out of the computer.

I spent the first couple of days crying, but it's starting to feel like I'm settling into a whole new routine. I'm hoping that the first week was the hardest, and that it gets slightly easier from here.
  2. Senior Member
    My DB left for BCT last Tues. We didn't live together but it has been a rough week. I think the first contact I'll get is his address....in a couple of weeks. I put furniture together today. Back to the gym tomorrow and Tough Mudder next weekend. We were suppose to do it together but I'm going to make a shirt so he'll be with me lol.

Here if you need an ear or get bored etc.

Second weeks gotta be better
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Wow, sounds like you have it harder than I do. At least he still is able to have his cell phone all the time for now, and he's been calling or texting. Not that it's been easy for him to call me, I break down crying when he says he misses me about half of the time.

That's hard waiting a couple of weeks to get the first contact...
  4. Senior Member
    For me the first week was the hardest and then like you the routine set in. Hang in there, keep busy and try to stay positive. It does get easier. DB has been gone since October. I miss him a lot, but it doesn't take over my life. Once in a while I have a tough day but nothing like the first week. Hopefully the hardest part is over for you.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace." Tom Ziglar.
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I had the hardest time taking over the chores that used to be his. Cleaning the toilet and taking out the garbage just reminded me that he was far away.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lys0518 View Post
    Wow, sounds like you have it harder than I do. At least he still is able to have his cell phone all the time for now, and he's been calling or texting. Not that it's been easy for him to call me, I break down crying when he says he misses me about half of the time.

That's hard waiting a couple of weeks to get the first contact...
    He'll get it back after BCT. He's doing OSUT so I'm not sure if he gets it in AIT. Fingers crossed but once he's in Jump School he said it will be back to normal for sure.
  7. Senior Member
    How long is he going to be gone for?

Hang in there.. I know it sucks.
    If you're too proud to follow rivers, how are you ever gonna find the sea?
  8. Regular Member
    I hear you about doing things around the house that he usually does. It reminded me that he was gone when I had to take the garbage out that first week. Laundry was a little sad too since it's all my clothes. DF had been gone two weeks now. I've had good days and bad days. One thing I have found helpful is to make plans. I'm usually quite a home body. I love being at home, watching tv or movies,... but I realized that if I don't make plans for the weekends, I'll basically be by myself all weekend. During the week I have work and I see people and stay pretty busy. So I've made plans in advance with friends so that I have something to look forward to on the weekend and I don't get lazy and just stay in or end up feeling lonely.

Hang on there. I think there will be good moments and bad ones, good days and bad ones, and that's okay. I do think you'll get into a groove though that will make it easier. Good luck.
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    How long is he going to be gone for?

Hang in there.. I know it sucks.

He's gone for at least 3 years.