Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: downsizing?

1. Junior Member

downsizing?

Advertisements
    i wasn't exactly sure about which forum to post this in, but i suppose downsizing to just one vehicle could fall under 'green'.

my husband and i are expecting, due in march, but we've discovered with my plans to be a SAHM, we don't need an extra vehicle. we have one car that just sits in the driveway at least 4 days out of the week.

i was just curious to find out if anyone here actually has only the one car, how do you like it? if you had just the one when you children were infants, did the potential of not having a car bother you (i.e, if something went wrong, etc). has it helped you save money in the long run?

advangtages/disadvantages? any input would be great. : ) TIA.
  2. Green and Gold
    Green and Gold
    We have one car. We found it hard, so we got a scooter too. It's been a lifesaver. It's sometimes hard planning who has what vehicle, but our petrol bill combined, is half what we used to spend.
  3. I'm complicated and eccentric, get use to it.
    I'm complicated and eccentric, get use to it.
    Right now we only have one day and it has been difficult, when we lived in Kansas I walked two and three miles to work everyday because we only had one car, even now with me not working I have to check with the husband every time I have to make an appointment so that he can either get approval to come off post to get me or wake me up so I can drive him to work. I would think with a baby you might want to keep the car around that way if you have to take them to the doctor you don't have to worry about that or something god forbid should happen you don't have to call him and wait.
    <3Ta Gra Agam Ort Deus Mo Fear Ciele <3
  4. You Can't Hear The Music Until You Dance
    You Can't Hear The Music Until You Dance
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieWife View Post
    We have one car. We found it hard, so we got a scooter too. It's been a lifesaver. It's sometimes hard planning who has what vehicle, but our petrol bill combined, is half what we used to spend.
    Ditto.
    We have a car and a scooter - because it is tough being a one car family.
  5. Put the alphabet in order...
    Put the alphabet in order...
    We have one car, and he will have a bike when he gets back from deployment to get to/from work. Yes, it's hard, but you can make it work. We've had one car for 3 years now, and while it's not ideal, we've made it work. Can your husband carpool with someone to trade off weeks to drive and stuff? At our last command, we had a neighbor my husband shared carpool with, so one week he would drive, the next week our friend would drive, etc.