Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: ecofriendly mommas..

1. Banned
    Banned

ecofriendly mommas..

Advertisements
    I want to do better for my budget and for the environment..

I take my own bags to the store and I sort my recycling but I feel like I can be doing more.

Any tips and or advice?
  2. Senior Member
    you can start a worm bin and compost all your food waste
    changing up your cleaning products just a bit to eco friendly/budget friendly items
    bye for now
    W~

"Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, Love truly and forgive quickly." -unknown

[/url]
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Are you a cloth diaper-er?
    I use a water and vinegar solution to do a lot of cleaning. It doesn't leave a nasty residue like harsh cleansers, and it makes the house smell fresh (after the first 30 minutes of smelling like Easter, lol)
  4. Banned
    Banned
    We were waiting till DH deployed to do cloth diapers because we couldn't afford the start up cost and so many people bought us diapers
  5. Senior Member
    I use eco friendly trash bags. I find them at the commy. I try my best to use eco friendly cleaning products like seventh generation. I got a steam mop so I'm not using chemicals to clean my floors and i'm not tossing 3 or 4 swiffer mop pads every time I mop the kitchen. I tired the recycled toilet paper but thats where I had to draw the line. That stuff sucked I use cloth diapers. I try to combine my trips to town so I'm not driving back and forth wasting gas. I run my dishwasher only when its full and only wash full loads of laundry or use the load size selector to adjust the amount of water I use.
  6. Senior Member
    I haven't used or made them yet but Santa will bring me a sewing machine and I will be making cloth pouches for snacks and sandwiches. Also, you can get a lot of cleaning don with white vinegar and baking soda. You'd probably be able to find some ideas that will work for you just by browsing around on etsy.

7. You Can't Hear The Music Until You Dance
    You Can't Hear The Music Until You Dance
    Quote Originally Posted by felifreshh View Post
    We were waiting till DH deployed to do cloth diapers because we couldn't afford the start up cost and so many people bought us diapers
    There is a WAHM Website called "Heavenly Hold" (www.heavenlyhold.com) and she does layaway - you can chose the time period and the dates you make payments on and she'll just send you a paypal invoice for that amount on those dates until they are paid for.

It's worked out great for me - plus Amber (the owner of the site) is SUPER friendly and answered ALL my questions about cloth. 100% recommend her!!
  8. You Can't Hear The Music Until You Dance
    You Can't Hear The Music Until You Dance
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather View Post
    I use eco friendly trash bags. I find them at the commy. I try my best to use eco friendly cleaning products like seventh generation. I got a steam mop so I'm not using chemicals to clean my floors and i'm not tossing 3 or 4 swiffer mop pads every time I mop the kitchen. I tired the recycled toilet paper but thats where I had to draw the line. That stuff sucked I use cloth diapers. I try to combine my trips to town so I'm not driving back and forth wasting gas. I run my dishwasher only when its full and only wash full loads of laundry or use the load size selector to adjust the amount of water I use.
    I also use those eco trash bags And the eco ziplock bags. I use Green Works cleaning products or Seventh Generation. I use Arm & Hammer detergent for my washer. I tke my own bags to the store. I use the low energy bulbs in EVERY light in my house. I cloth diaper. I only run full loads of washing and in the dishwasher. (I had to mention the washer - because you may not waste the water if you select a smaller load - but you are still using the same amount of electricity!) I buy organic and I recycle.
  9. Senior Member
    I use cloth bags for grocery. I wash all my clothes (except for whites) on cold and use half detergent. I run errands all on one day. We do have a compost pile but it is because we dont want food sitting in our garbage and rotten. We had a garden this past summer.