Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fire your dryer!

1. Junior Member
    Advertisements
    ps. SOO Many excuses in this post! Its just putting your clothes outside! and if they get rained on--okay--just use the dryer then AFTER that attempt.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by ezramedic View Post
    In Australia EVERYONE line dries. We have these clothes lines called "Hills Hoists"
    They are a square and they spin and they collapse down. Every back yard has 'em.
    (Click here for Wikipedia Info)

And most (99%) of people have a few lines strung up in their garage or carport in case of rain. I think only about 50% of people have dryers for use in case of an emergency or something.

When I moved to the States I was baffled by the fact that everyone uses dryers 100% of the time.

It seems so wasteful. Can't wait to move into a house with a yard and put up a clothes line!
    We had one of those in our front yard in Arizona. I loved line drying clothes, and diapers.

I should put a clothes line up here, we've got tons of backyard space for it!
  3. Nie
    growing up we always had a cloths line, here in Germany (oh the irony, line drying is very normal here) I'm not allowed to have one in my tiny yard...so I line dry the best I can inside
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I grew up without a dryer. We just hung things in the boiler room when it was cold or bad weather and in the backyard when it was sunny. Love it. I hate the drier. It can really wear out your clothes sometimes. But sadly, I have no place to line dry now. I do inside linedry my handwashables and the like.

I never understood why people associate line dry with lower class status? It is smart and green to me.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I would totally do that, but we have no where to line dry them outside. Plus we live on the 1st floor apartment and our patio faces the main entrance, so I'm not too sure hanging bras and underwear would go over well with the managers.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I would put my clothes in the dryer to get rid of the crunchiness. I don't like the feeling.

We had a clothes line at one place but not here.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  7. Green and Gold
    Green and Gold
    Ezra, thanks for posting the Hoist info! I saw this and was going to do it, lol.

I have lived in Victoria. For those interested, Victoria is known around the world as having four seasons in one day. If the day looks sunny, take an umbrella. If it's cloudy, wear shorts, But we always line dried. In winter, the clothes go on a clothes horse inside. Simple really. No creases, none of that horrid dryer smell either. They dry so beautifully.

Now that I'm in Queensland (sunshine state my ass) we have the wet season in summer (I know, how farking stupid) so we have a clothes line in the open, one under the verandah, and an indoor clothes horse. We have only had to go to the laundromats to use the dryer once in two years, and that's cos hubby forgot to hang his uniform up the night before (helloooo 4am dryer run!).

We have never needed it. There is no real need to have a dryer. It's just an excuse to be lazy really. Go sell it, get the cash for it, and notice how much money you save yourself. Did I mention that line dried clothes have a longer life span?
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Maybe I'm in the wrong here - but I HATE how clothes feel coming off the line. They practically stand up on their own. It gives me the willies.

I'm all for going green - but my dryer is a luxury I wouldn't want to give up.
  9. Green and Gold
    Green and Gold
    If they are stiff, then you are either adding starch, in a hard water area, or using too much detergent or fabric softener. Mine are all soft and snuggly, and I only line dry.
  10. You Can't Hear The Music Until You Dance
    You Can't Hear The Music Until You Dance
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieWife View Post
    Ezra, thanks for posting the Hoist info! I saw this and was going to do it, lol.
    Now that I'm in Queensland (sunshine state my ass) we have the wet season in summer (I know, how farking stupid)
    OI! I'm from Queensland! So is SandyKay! Nah, it's cool.
    You gotta admit there isn't anything like a QLD summer afternoon thunderstorm!!

But of course, for the last few years I was there before I got married we had a drought to end all droughts. We were on serious water restrictions, like American's haven't ever seen!
    (ENFORCED 4 minute showers, no outdoor hosing at ALL, etc)
    (Definitely no need for a dryer then, LOL!)
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast