Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Raised planters vs. in-ground planting?

1. Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Blog Entries

Question Raised planters vs. in-ground planting?

Advertisements
    I noticed a few of you have built raised gardens and flower beds. I'm curious what the reasons are for this.

Here, I don't have the means available to me to do this and everyone plants gardens here in the ground. Gardens are a main part of a lot of people's yards here. So getting the gardening supplies and seeds and such should be easy. I just have to find the stores....
  2. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    I'm not going to re-write what looks like a good article with a formatting problem, but basically, ease of gardening, appearance, and production.

See HERE.

In my climate, the raised beds make the roots more vulnerable to frost, so we've chosen to go with containers. I don't know enough about Italy to compare . . . but traditional in-ground gardening has worked for thousands of years, so I'd bet you are good.

So now I'm curious - what is the soil like where you are?
  3. Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Blog Entries
    I'm not too sure what the soil is like. Honestly, I've never gardened before. I just moved out to a house with a yard for the first time. I have a lot to learn, but it will be fun! I love planting things and watching them grow.

It's hot and humid here right now, and then in the winter, we'll have snow that doesn't last very long. I can't imagine anyone's gardens doing too well in the winter, but I have a feeling that once the end of winter comes around, everyone goes nuts getting their gardens set up again.