Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Canning/Pickling

1. Senior Member

Canning/Pickling

Advertisements
    Is anyone going to be canning or pickling their veggies? What are you doing? What recipes do you use?
  2. Senior Member
    I've always wanted to but I dont have a garden yet. I'm gonna bump this for ya.
  3. Senior Member
    We can alot of meat more then veggies.. This fall we'll buy a pig and can alot of the pork, and we always can the venison that DH shoots.. Some of that is going to get mailed to my brother and my cousin in Iraq, it'll be a treat for them to have venison... I like having a stock of canned meat, because it makes for easy meals because it's already fully cooked..

I prefer to freeze sweet corn instead of can that, cause it's easier. Boil the corn, then cut it off the cob and put it into freezer baggies..There's not a whole lot of recipes that I follow, I can alot just plain.. Our squash will get canned plain, our peas and beans will be plain.

Depending on how our tomatoes do, we'll make salsa and give it away for Christmas gifts, but I don't have a recipe for that I just make it up as I go.... We always make pickles too, but I wing that as well.

Apples from our trees go into apple pie in a jar, I always find a recipe online for that.
  4. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    i plan to grow cucumbers next year to pickle. can't say i have a recipe, but i'm sure dh has something in mind.
    for you
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I'm very curious about this too. I know you boil the jars, but I'm confused about how you "seal" things..or whatever.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Pamela* View Post
    I'm very curious about this too. I know you boil the jars, but I'm confused about how you "seal" things..or whatever.
    We use a pressure cooker.. Fill the jars, put the lids on, stick them in the cooker and let them cook at a certain psi for a certain period of time, then take them out..

The lids pop as they cool.. Jams don't need to be pressure cooked, the jars and lids just have to be hot when you pour the boiling liquid into them. They pop as they cool down too..

Or you can use parrifin wax on jams instead of lids.. My grandma did that cause they were too poor to buy new lids everytime. You can reuse the collars, just not the lids. She'd shave wax off on to the jam, and it would melt and seal it.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by leftover View Post
    We use a pressure cooker.. Fill the jars, put the lids on, stick them in the cooker and let them cook at a certain psi for a certain period of time, then take them out..

The lids pop as they cool.. Jams don't need to be pressure cooked, the jars and lids just have to be hot when you pour the boiling liquid into them. They pop as they cool down too..

Or you can use parrifin wax on jams instead of lids.. My grandma did that cause they were too poor to buy new lids everytime. You can reuse the collars, just not the lids. She'd shave wax off on to the jam, and it would melt and seal it.
    Ahh..ok. Thanks. What about something like tomato sauce?
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Pamela* View Post
    Ahh..ok. Thanks. What about something like tomato sauce?
    You could probably do that either way. If you cooked it to boiling, boiled the jars and lids then filled them with the hot liquid, they'd seal.. Tomatoes would sterilize good because they are so acidic..