Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: FINALLY

1. Senior Member

Jump for Joy FINALLY

Advertisements
    OK so we finally got the boxes built and put in place. We put them in our front courtyard and buried them a little bit. excuse the mess we plan on getting the compost and veggies to plant this weekend then finishing the rest off the area off with some clovers, strawberries and rocks next month.

we went with green lumber from lowes as it was much less expensive than home depot and then treated it with linseed oil before assembling them.

you can see what we have been up to by clicking on the image. Pretty much have it all done fortunately our front yard is still in great shape and drought tolerant so we didn't have to change anything there and seem to be ding well with the new "sprinkler" laws here in SD

I will post more pics once we get the veggies in.
    bye for now
    W~

"Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, Love truly and forgive quickly." -unknown

[/url]
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    ooo looks good.

Here is my little garden

3. Senior Member
    oooo that looks awesome!!!!! I am still blown away that your building has them for you.
    bye for now
    W~

"Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, Love truly and forgive quickly." -unknown

[/url]
  4. Senior Member
    Good work! I look forward to seeing the finished product!
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    They look great!

I thought the sprinkler laws weren't until June? I've been watering somewhat heavy to get all of our new landscaping established (we have mostly drought tolerant plants, but they need to be watered 2x daily to get established).

How did treating them with oil go? Was it pretty easy? We have the wood to build four more boxes this weekend because my tomatoes are growing like crazy and need more space!
  6. Senior Member
    you are correct it isn't till june 1st but our sprinkler system took a dive so we also just replaced it and I had him set it up for the new watering times. Also we set up drips in all the planters and trim plants out front and in back and I am hoping that since they are hidden no one will notice that I have them on outside of the 10minute allotment our grassy areas about medium in size but I think they will need the full 10minutes

the oil part was really easy we just poured it on and rubbed it about with old rags. They do have an oder which reminds me of my oil painting days, I am beginning to wonder if it will go away or not and honestly I still have my doubts if it is going to even make that big of difference.

OH did I mention the wood is half the cost at Lowes than at home depot
    bye for now
    W~

[/url]
  7. Senior Member
    ok the second finally. we went to the dump and got the FREEEEE compost it is so rich and i am so happy that it was free.

i planted some veggies from seed and some that had already sprouted. I am hoping for at least a 50% success rate but so far so good, perhapse my black thumbs are turning green

next we will finish off the rest of the courtyard and then it all of our yards will be done "phew"
    bye for now
    W~

[/url]
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Where did you get free compost????? I need to make a run to the dump anyways....
  9. Senior Member
    At the Miramar landfill/dump you can either self load, if you do that I highly recommend filling trash cans with wheels saves time at the homestead. otherwise if you go with a truck and you need alot for $5 they will have a tractor load it for you.

we went early to avoid any possible traffic and you just tell them when entering that you are there for compost and they give you a ticket. and it's all free. they also have free mulch if you need
    bye for now
    W~

[/url]