Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Raised garden boxes- Tutorial (Images)

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Raised garden boxes- Tutorial (Images)

Advertisements
    So since I know that there were some people interested in raised boxes, I figured I would show my process step by step since I am doing it this weekend (we are doing organic, but traditional gardening works too).

So step 1: Buy materials...

I bought 8 2x6x8 boards. Avoid "pressure treated" wood if you really want to be organic. I will either be making two smaller boxes or one large one haven't decided yet. ($34)

I bought 8 corner brackets. ($6)

I already have the nails, but you will need a box of nails or screws. ($2-4)

4-6 stakes per box, depending on the size. ($4 for a box of 12)

Enough soil to fill. ($14, and I using fill dirt in bottom half of this particular box because the veggies grow above ground (peppers-jalapeno, serrano, bell).

Then decide the measurements of said box and cut accordingly. I was going to do 45 degree angles on the boards but the saw doesn't allow that angle for boards this tall, so we said screw it.

Screw/nail into a rectangle or desired shape.

Repeat as many times as you want the box to be tall (in my case 2 rows).

Then stack the boxes and place the L brackets where desired.

Final product:

Herbs (mostly)

Romaine

And all of them in a row... (excuse our fence/yard... work in progress... )

Last edited by Trey; 05-06-2009 at 12:22 AM.
  2. Senior Member
    cool we are doing ours hopefully Saturday, DH rototilled the area this morning. I am very interested in your boxes at it sounds exactly like the ones we are going to be making. either 3 3'x3' or 1 3'x3' & 3'x6'

We were thinking of following these directions, but I kinda like the corner brackets idea.

Also I found this great link yesterday for what veggies to plant in our area

and this link is good for plannin gout the boxes and then it gives you allot of great info about each item you are planting....for example (i'm totally new to this so) corn, you need 12-18 plants in order for it to properly fruit!!!! LOL that really surprised me

Have you had a vegetable garden before? I may have to pick your brain a bit for real world advice since I've never done this and am mostly known for my ability to kill plants on demand but hey I'm all about trying
    bye for now
    W~

"Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, Love truly and forgive quickly." -unknown

[/url]
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by swrlygrl View Post
    cool we are doing ours hopefully Saturday, DH rototilled the area this morning. I am very interested in your boxes at it sounds exactly like the ones we are going to be making. either 3 3'x3' or 1 3'x3' & 3'x6'

We were thinking of following these directions, but I kinda like the corner brackets idea.

Also I found this great link yesterday for what veggies to plant in our area

and this link is good for plannin gout the boxes and then it gives you allot of great info about each item you are planting....for example (i'm totally new to this so) corn, you need 12-18 plants in order for it to properly fruit!!!! LOL that really surprised me

Have you had a vegetable garden before? I may have to pick your brain a bit for real world advice since I've never done this and am mostly known for my ability to kill plants on demand but hey I'm all about trying
    That's me to a T! But my aunt and Grandma both have award winning gardens, so I'm DESPERATELY trying to turn my green thumb black!

That box you posted is way nicer than we are doing! I wanted to do redwood like that, but our fence is a light gray/tan, so I'm debating on painting them to match or else letting them weather naturally for a rustic and organic look.

Going to check out the links right now!
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    thanks trey!!!! we are getting some in august since we are short on funds
  5. Senior Member
    ya i don't think we will be doing the redwood either (chaaaaChiing!), and right now i have high hopes of staining them to match our yard stuff and house trim but I am so eager I know me and they will just end up being the color of whatever the wood is.
    bye for now
    W~

"Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, Love truly and forgive quickly." -unknown

[/url]
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by swrlygrl View Post
    ya i don't think we will be doing the redwood either (chaaaaChiing!), and right now i have high hopes of staining them to match our yard stuff and house trim but I am so eager I know me and they will just end up being the color of whatever the wood is.
    That's me to a T! I actually already have all the plants and they are quickly outgrowing their temporary homes, so I gotta get them planted!
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I just had DH put screws through the wood, we didnt use brackets LOL but im not using them this year since our septic issue ruined that LOL
    Are you scrappy enough for me
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I'm putting my back together this weekend and adding 3 more sections. I'm so excited. I learned alot from last year and my cucumbers last year were amazing!
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Updated with pics again.

I am loving this shiz....

Still need more boxes tough!
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i think i'm gonna go price some wood while my grandma is up here in a few weeks
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast