Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eating organically

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Eating organically

Advertisements
    Does anyone eat organically?

Where do you do your shopping? At the grocery store or at a specialty store?

How do you eat organically on a budget?

I've always brought organic foods into our house here and there. I know the benefits of it, so I really want to integrate organic foods into our diet more. My only hesitation is the cost. I do The Grocery Game, and while stores have organic foods on sale sometimes, it's not often, and my coupons will be pretty much worthless if we go all organic.

Any tips?
  2. Senior Member
    my mother in law and me were having this convo this morning and she said that she has found wal mart to be the cheapest on most organic foods.
  3. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    I would think going to a Farmer's Market might be better prise wise than the grocery store.
    I don't eat anything organic on purpose so I'm not much help.

BTW.. I'm PMing you
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I do organic for most things, especially fresh produce and dairy. But I also do local. Local is just as important. You should read the labels and see what is important to you: free range, local, no hormones etc. Organic is a trendy label now and can mean very different things. And still read for things like sugar/salt content if these are important to you because organic things can still be high in sugar/salt and processed up the wazoo. I guess, I'd say figure out your goal and then shop accordingly.

I shop at Stop and Shop. They are in the northeast and have their own line of organics called Natures Promise. They are priced competitively. I find Whole Foods very expensive and prefer Trader Joes or Fairway market. If you are in a rural area or even in most cities you can do community supported agriculture programs.

Good luck. If you start out making simple replacements then it is quite doable.
  5. FLORIDIAN
    FLORIDIAN
    We do organic dairy... they dont offer loads of organic here overseas at the commy.
    It def is more expensive, the cheese is ridiculous! We like it though, especially the milk!

Have you ever thought about what protects our hearts? / Just a cage of rib bones and other various parts /
    So it's fairly simple to cut right through the mess / And stop the muscle that makes us confess / And we are so fragile /
    And our cracking bones make noise / And we are just breakable, breakable, breakable girls and boys.

6. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    We do organic dairy... they dont offer loads of organic here overseas at the commy.
    It def is more expensive, the cheese is ridiculous! We like it though, especially the milk!
    Oh I can imagine the cheese being delicious!
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
    I would think going to a Farmer's Market might be better prise wise than the grocery store.
    I don't eat anything organic on purpose so I'm not much help.

BTW.. I'm PMing you
    I like farmer's market. Although they aren't all organic but they are locate so it's also green. You support the locate farmers and vendors and cut back on diesel usage because of freight and all. It's still living green and it's actually not expensive at all.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Well, we went to an organic food depot today...it didn't have a great selection and it was VERY pricey. I bought a few things that were on sale, but still walked out with a $40 bill.

Tonight I went to the grocery store, bought almost everything organic and I think, saved a lot of money thanks to the store sales and my grocery game.

I just want healthy organic food. No hormones, naturally grown food.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I do organic milk...and vegs...

I can't find meat around here..
  10. DELETED.
    DELETED.
    Since I live in Hawaii, I shop for Organic vegetables, etc. at Down-to-Earth, Natural Food Store, or at the Commissary if I find anything.

It find some organics rather over my budget, but I have to deal with it. Lol.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast