Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Green" products - good and bad

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by helloimkaley View Post
    Currently all I have is the Arm and Hammer Essentials Cleaner and Degreaser for my kitchen and I think it is FAB.

It worked really well on getting week old cookie batter/wet flour off my counters and pasta sauce off my stove.

And the whole saving plastic thing is really awesome. You just buy the bottle once and buy little refill cartridges and fill it with water.

Here's a link to it:

http://www.armandhammeressentials.com/products.aspx

When I run out of other cleaners I plan on getting more green ones.
    I use Arm and Hammer kitty litter!
  2. Senior Member
    I use vinegar & water for almost everything. Cleaning the shower, added to the wash, etc... I love it

3. Incubating...
    Incubating...
    I like green works, and I use baking soda to scrub the stainless steel sinks.

Warning, the Palmolive Eco friendly dishwasher soap sucks, it leaves white residue all over dishes and I have a brand new dishwasher.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Dr Bronner's Castille soap is excellent.

I use the Method brand from Target for most things.

I too haven't been able to find a dishwashing liquid that can trump Dawn. I have tried a lot of them. So I use Dawn for the super greasy stuff/pots and the naturals for the day to day light dishes.
  5. CAITstoppable
    CAITstoppable
    I <3 costco!

http://twitter.com/CLAiken

6. Senior Member
    I would like to try to go "green" but is it terribly expensive?
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by codysgirl86 View Post
    I would like to try to go "green" but is it terribly expensive?
    It depends on what route you go. If you think you're the type to be comfy homemaking products then it is way cheaper. If you go for the store brand stuff you have to shop carefully. Green is "in" and the mainstream companies are also putting out their green merchandise and things are more highly available. Read labels and cost compare. Method is pretty reasonable. I have the window spray, multipurpose and wood cleaners. Love them.

If you are in doubt, start slow. Pick you most toxic product out (the one whose smell makes you gag and you wear gloves to dispense) and go to the store and see what you find as a replacement. Sometimes you might be willing to pay a bit more for high quality natural stuff.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by swtkty217 View Post
    I like green works, and I use baking soda to scrub the stainless steel sinks.

Warning, the Palmolive Eco friendly dishwasher soap sucks, it leaves white residue all over dishes and I have a brand new dishwasher.
    I couldnt agree more about the Palmolive dishwasher soap!
  9. Senior Member
    I've been slowly switching over to Method cleaning products. So far I love all of them, they work amazing.

My mom just bought the Method dishwasher tablets to try and she said she loves them.
  10. he's deployed and i'm in hawaii!
    he's deployed and i'm in hawaii!
    my entire home is "green" and animal friendly - i don't use any products made by companies that test on animals... another thing to consider IMO if you're interesting in contentious living!

someone asked "what are essential oils" - super concentrated oils found naturally - they are pure and VERY strong. they disinfect, kill bacteria, smell great. lavender oil and eucalyptus oil are really common - i use a few drops of oil with distilled water and it WILL effectively and safely clean your home.

i recently bought some oils from The Vitamine Shoppe that were reasonably priced - less than $10 for a 2oz bottle is decent IMO. some stores will try and sell them for $15+ - thats total BS to me!

the oils can also be cut with other base oils to use on yoru body (undiluted essential oil is way too strong for direct skin contact in large amounts, and can irritate your skin if you don't cut it) - i bought eucalyptus bc DB's muscles are sore. a few drops in the tube will help you loosen up and relax. a couple drops of lavender will make you sleepy!

stuff i don't make on my own is mostly soap and laundry detergent - i LOVE 7th generation and castille's!

anything by Kiss My Face is amazing!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast