Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Composting...

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Composting...

Advertisements
    Anyone have compost piles? We are wanting to start and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions... like doing it naturally, with a bucket/garbage, what....

I ordered a book about it, but just wanted some experienced feedback...

TIA!
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    P.S. Brandi, I'll move this to the Green forum when you make it!
  3. Banned
    Banned
    We did composting at my mom's house growing up. We used black boxes made for it and had those in our garden area.

I have heard good things about vermicomposting/using worms etc too.
  4. Senior Member
    I don't know too much about it but my MIL does. She keeps a small compost can with a secure lid under the sink and puts items into it as she goes along. Then when it's full she puts it out in her penned in pile. Looks like a garden square, meshed in, behind her barn. She only puts natural items in it, and only certain ones. Like leafy greens, eggshells etc. I always have to ask her what I can and cannot put in the can. Beyound that, I don't know any more about what she does with it.
  5. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Blog Entries
    My dad had one when I was growing up. He put his in a tumbler at first and then he built his own on a hill. He's since discontinued using so i don't believe he felt it was worth the effort, or maybe he just got lazy
  6. Senior Member

my parents do this. they made a cylinder out of chicken wire and stuck it in the ground. that way the stuff underneath can airate and bugs can get to all of it. just beware, it gets stinky. lol. they put it at the end of their yard so the flies stay away from the porch/house.
  7. Senior Member
    The tumbblers you can buy are great!!! Really, you add the wormmies and can cook really fast.

We used a outdoor one growning up, just a pile that was turned every couple months, but it takes a loooong time to so it that way.

They also have little bucket type composting things you can put in teh kitchen, just for kitchen waste, they work relitivly quickly, do not smell and are very green.
  8. bailliesbags
    the people that owned the house before us, left one of the black contrapitions in our back yard. you have to turn it and stuff gets heavy in there, the piece on the bottom pops off. It is kind of a pain.

Now the tumbler sounds much nicer!
  9. Banned
    Banned
    We compost - our's is mostly compost from the barn, though. My mom does household composting with a little gackyard turner contraption.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    I've just heard that if you want to use the compost for your garden (as fertilizer) that you need to only use compost from indigenous plants, veggies, and fruits. For instance, if you live in WA, you don't wanna put banana peels in it, cause bananas don't grow here and will eff up your soil. But I don't know that much cause I rent and haven't been able to start one yet.... but when/if we get our house, I will be coming to you to ask more questions Trey!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast