Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the cheapest way to move my stuff home?

1. Senior Member

What's the cheapest way to move my stuff home?

Advertisements
    I think pretty much everybody knows this but for anybody who doesn't, I'm leaving my husband. I have a moving date set for the very end of May. Everything is fine, I'm not sad at all, nothing happened, we just don't work together and it's exhausting and blah blah blah.

Anyway. My original plan was to fit everything I can (plus dogs) into my car and drive home, and then I'll just gather the rest of it when he ETSs and moves home in like Octoberish. We started off this whole thing very amicable (we had the talk and decided to get divorced like 2ish months ago) but he's so hot and cold that I really just don't want to have to see him again if I don't want to. Like one day he's normal (although tbh his normal mode isn't really pleasant) and then the next day he's being a fucking asshole. I'm just done. I want to get my shit out of here so that when I leave, if I want to never see him again, I can do that.

So anyway, has anybody been able to ship things for a move? When I moved to/from Hawaii I used flat rate boxes to move home my books and dvds and things and that worked fine, I just wanted to know if there's a better way. I'm not trying to move anything large, just books and dvds and small things that I want but that aren't sentimental or anything. I don't have a lot of clothes and my clothes are tiny anyway so I'm positive I can fit all of them (+shoes and some other stuff) into this one large suitcase I have, and then I just need to bring Clementine's crate, my kitchenaid mixer, my vitamix, my xbox, laptop, etc etc. Nothing super big but the more space I can save in my car the better. Any ideas?
  2. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I would use media mail for anything that qualifies. It's soooo cheap. DH and I shipped home like 30 lbs of books while visiting my family for Xmas (they ALL gave us books!) and it was like $15.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  3. Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    I moved home early DH packed everything I wanted for me in my car (he is a amazing packer) and I got Zoe's crate, her toy box, my clothes and some misc items in my car between the trunk and the passenger seat. I was surprised how much could fit in small spaces. We made the whole back seat her space and put stuff in the floor bords below her. I would pack anything that you aren't going to immediately want/need that isn't too valuable into the flat rate boxes and ship them as quickly as possible, and try to get down to the minimum you can that you will need to put in your car. Does Clem's crate fold flat? If not it might be worth it to order one and have it shipped to your new address and leave the old one behind.
  4. Senior Member
    I'm sorry you're in that situation. I agree, it sucks, and I'd get your stuff out of there as fast as possible so you don't have to see him again too.

When I moved to CO, that's what I did too. Pretty much everything fit except two large boxes that I shipped. I briefly looked into stuff like PODs or places where you could put a couple of boxes on some other truck that would eventually get delivered but it was a giant pain in the ass and didn't seem to save much money for as little as I'd be shipping.

How big is your car, and how far do you have to drive? IF worse comes to worse, can you pay for a friend to rent a car and drive some stuff too if you turn out to have less space than you thought?
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    get the large plastic trunks/foot lockers from walmart for about $20. Fill them up, no more than 70 pounds. Then mail them slow ground. Very inexpensive.
    If you can set up an account on USPS, and do click-to-ship and print your labels, there is an additional discount.
    Can your car handle a small trailer?
    Or buy a roof rack and tie stuff to the top?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    get the large plastic trunks/foot lockers from walmart for about $20. Fill them up, no more than 70 pounds. Then mail them slow ground. Very inexpensive.
    If you can set up an account on USPS, and do click-to-ship and print your labels, there is an additional discount.
    Can your car handle a small trailer?
    Or buy a roof rack and tie stuff to the top?
    I second the roof rack if you can fit one on your car!
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  7. scotlandgrl53
    scotlandgrl53
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneSays View Post
    I'm sorry you're in that situation. I agree, it sucks, and I'd get your stuff out of there as fast as possible so you don't have to see him again too.

When I moved to CO, that's what I did too. Pretty much everything fit except two large boxes that I shipped. I briefly looked into stuff like PODs or places where you could put a couple of boxes on some other truck that would eventually get delivered but it was a giant pain in the ass and didn't seem to save much money for as little as I'd be shipping.

How big is your car, and how far do you have to drive? IF worse comes to worse, can you pay for a friend to rent a car and drive some stuff too if you turn out to have less space than you thought?
    The bolded was a thought I had as well. Rent an additional car/truck and shove it all in there.
    I need a
    a
    I don't have forever or

So don't let me

I AshleyO
  8. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    The downside of getting a friend to rent a car and drive it is getting the friend to you and/or back home. I did this when I moved to Philly. Granted, my company paid for most of my move so it technically wasn't totally out of pocket because I got reimbursed for some of it. But I got my sister a train ticket from Albany to Syracuse. She drove my truck and I drove my moving truck (horrible experience, never plan on driving a moving truck again ). And then I got her a flight from Philly back to Albany which was stupidly like $500 for a one-way ticket.

In addition to roof racks, they have those container things that can go on top of cars as well (I've seen them on vans, SUVs, etc).
    ~Becca~

9. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    What kind of car do you drive, and can it maybe tow a small trailer? Or can you flatten the seats in your car if you have an SUV-type car?

Also,
  10. Senior Member
    Yeah the only option really is to mail stuff, my cousin flying up here only just started driving a few months ago so he's really only going to be helping to keep me awake and help me with the dogs when we need to stop. I don't know anybody else who would be able to help :/ none of my friends live in my hometown anymore.

I have a Hyundai elantra. I really don't feel safe driving with a roof rack or a trailer.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast