Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Military spouse questions about divorce?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Military spouse questions about divorce?

Advertisements
    Hey guys

So I made a length thread before about my situation and I'm probably going to go through with this divorce (I hate that word ) but anyways about a year ago when I said that he turned off my phone, told me I couldn't take the car since he's the primary owner on it even though my name is also on it and even if I did he would cancel my car insurance. I am a little afraid he will get mad and just be this mean again trying to control me. I am unemployed so I do not have a job and only like $300 to my name.

Someone once told me that in the military he can get in a lot of trouble doing this since I'm his dependant and he has to financially support me no matter what. Is this true? Any suggestions or advice? I'm talking with a counselor at fleet and family Friday and hopefully she can give me some help also!

Thanks!!
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Just about the car insurance, I hear about these kinds of threats a lot. I suppose all companies are different, I know for me personally as an insurance agent I would not remove a spouse unless I had proof that they had their own policy. Especially if there is a loan out on the car, it's a bad idea. That's not to say that all companies are that way though. I suppose you could call them and ask about that possibility.

I think the situation with how much "financial support" he has to provide gets really sticky and a lot of it will depend on the command and how much they want to get involved. I remember that you said that he pays all for all of the living expenses and debt. It's one thing to up and leave you out in the cold, it may be another if there is one family car and he doesn't want you to take it, kwim?

Regardless, I am glad you are looking into getting out of the marriage, you definitely deserve better! Good luck with the appointment, I hope they're able to get you started on the right track.
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    He has his own car and then I have my vehicle.. I guess we will see how things go thanks!
  4. Senior Member
    This is why you need to contact a lawyer. Immediately. Do it before you even mention the D word to your husband. And when you are searching for a lawyer, ask specifically if they are familiar with military divorce, and if they say they are, ask them how many military divorces they have handled in the past year. You want someone who knows the military system. Divorce is a civil matter and happens entirely outside the military system. However, there are peculiarities with military pay that you want someone to know about.

A counselor is a great idea, but she can't (or shouldn't) offer legal advice. You need an attorney.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Senior Member
    You need a lawyer. Whose name is on the title of the car? Whose name is on the car loan? Same questions for the house you bought. All this needs to be reviewed with your lawyer. Even after divorce, you may be responsible for some of these bills as well as your student loans. You need to know what you will be responsible for and how to proceed to set yourself up for a successful future. This is why you need a lawyer now.

Also, no, he does not have to financially support you. He will probably have to support you with some $ per month, but do not expect that it will be enough to live off of. And it is much easier to get this money with a court order - without a court order it can be very difficult. You could start by going to the local JAG office for some general guidance.