Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible or is it really that difficult?

1. Senior Member

Is it possible or is it really that difficult?

Advertisements
    I wasn't sure where to put this. I realize this is kind of a loaded topic since there are many different views on it, so if it needs to be moved please do so. I thought this was the most appropriate place since I'm talking about what happens after "the love is gone".

My question is: Is it possible to be friends with someone that you used to have "a thing" with?

I've stayed friends with one guy I used to non-exclusively date until he got a girlfriend that didn't like me and we just lost touch. I recently ran into someone else I used to see. Only reason we were not already friends was because it ended on bad terms. I actually stuck around long enough to talk to him about what happened between us and things were fine when I left. I hug you, you hug me, we go our separate ways... I guess. Personally, I would love to still have him in my life because he was a good friend. I don't think us being in a relationship could have ever worked out, but I still enjoy his company. We talked about the possibility of us being friends but haven't come to a conclusion on it yet. This leads me to my question...

Is anyone out there friends with an ex? Why or why not?
  2. Semper Fi kinda Life <3
    Semper Fi kinda Life <3
    Blog Entries
    I have a couple ex's that I am still friends with. It's not like we talk all the time or hang out all the time. But we talk now and then. I think if both people TRULY do not have "those" feelings for each other any more than yes, you can still be friends with an ex. But it is a fine line because sometimes one of the individuals may still harbor feelings. If that's the case, then it's bound to be awkward and possibly become a bad situation.

So all in all.. yes I feel like it is absolutely possible. But it's on a case by case basis.

Jen2407 is my Wifey!

Come Check us out... Items designed for MilSo's!!
    Operation Military Sweethearts
  3. Senior Member
    Okay can I just say that you scared the shit out of me, when I saw a thread from you in life after love? NOT COOL

Anyways, for me, friends isn't possible. They either hate me or I hate them, so.

4. Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!
    Mermaids4Lyfe, YO!

My ex and I are kinda friends, but not really. We have things in common however, we don't go out of our ways to talk to each other on a daily basis
  5. Senior Member
    I'm friendly with 3 of my exes. One in a 'Hey how are YOU?' kind of way when we run into each other and two in a friendly meet up for lunch once a year kind of way. DH is iffy about it sometimes, but honestly, I was friendly with them before DH and I were together so I'm not going to cut ties with them, KWIM?

I would not, however, suddenly become friends with an ex from years ago now that DH and I are together. That wouldn't be cool, IMO.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by briannanoel View Post
    Okay can I just say that you scared the shit out of me, when I saw a thread from you in life after love? NOT COOL

Anyways, for me, friends isn't possible. They either hate me or I hate them, so.
    I figured anyone who knew me IRL would be like "awww helll nawww". Everything is good in the house of CrummyCupcake.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkyLee View Post
    I have a couple ex's that I am still friends with. It's not like we talk all the time or hang out all the time. But we talk now and then. I think if both people TRULY do not have "those" feelings for each other any more than yes, you can still be friends with an ex. But it is a fine line because sometimes one of the individuals may still harbor feelings. If that's the case, then it's bound to be awkward and possibly become a bad situation.

So all in all.. yes I feel like it is absolutely possible. But it's on a case by case basis.
    Yeah, this is where I stand on it.
  8. skp
    The journey is the reward.
    The journey is the reward.
    I think yes, it is possible depending on the circumstances. It takes time to get over the relationship and any romantic feelings too.

My ex from college and I are still friends. We didn't talk for about a year though. We dated for 3 years and now live across the country from each other but we chat on FB occasionally and I'll have dinner with him when I go home for Thanksgiving.

But I also have an ex I will never talk to or be friends with again. It ended horribly.

br33 is my professional deployment twin
    starsinthesky is my PAL
  9. Semper Fi kinda Life <3
    Semper Fi kinda Life <3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CrummyCupCake View Post
    Yeah, this is where I stand on it.
    I definitely have some ex's that I'll never talk to again because as much as I dont care about them like that anymore, I know their intentions would not be so innocent. So I avoid that at all costs. But there are definitely ex's that are like my best friends and I know I can talk to them about anything and trust them and it be on a purely ..we've known each other forever and been through a lot I'm here for you as a friend ...kinda way.

Jen2407 is my Wifey!

Come Check us out... Items designed for MilSo's!!
    Operation Military Sweethearts
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I'm only on "bad" terms with one ex, the most recent one, but I wouldn't say I'm friends with any of my exes. If we ran into one we would be friendly and such but we don't seek each other out.

My life doesn't have a void without any of them They are nice men and all of that, the relationships just didn't work out, but I never had a friendship run so deeply with one that I felt I was truly incomplete without him. I think letting go of the friendship aspect helps each person move on, personally.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast