Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: separation papers

1. Senior Member

Question separation papers

Advertisements
    Has anyone ever filed separation papers without the help of a lawyer? It's something we're looking in to since we have agreed on all of our terms and are trying to save a little money.

If you've done it, would you recommend it or do you have any tips? TIA
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneHappyMama View Post
    Has anyone ever filed separation papers without the help of a lawyer? It's something we're looking in to since we have agreed on all of our terms and are trying to save a little money.

If you've done it, would you recommend it or do you have any tips? TIA
    Go to the lawyers on base, they will help you and it doesn't cost anything to see them. If you guys agree on everything, it's just easier to have someone explain the paperwork. If one of you can't make it there, I honestly only went on base once to see a lawyer...same for STB-XDH, and they pretty much just told us what we would need to fill out if we wanted to get divorced in our respective states. Sometimes if you go to the nearest courthouse they also have an area that will help you do family law stuff without lawyers.
    I misskrissyo 'cause we have a bangin' good time...emphasis on the bangin'.
    Miss[Pregg]O is my twinie!
    TatooBot! is my lesbian partner.

My Blog Updated:Usually weekly, because I forget to update when I updated.
  3. Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    A girl I used to work with used an online website for her paperwork, they signed them and she took them to the courthouse to file.

She didn't have any problems with them. But, they had only been married maybe a year, and had no children and no community property. I want to say she used something like legal zoom.com

She had great results with it and I think total cost was like $300 and that was with notary and court costs.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I've never filed for a separation but my ex and I started out doing a dissolution which was pretty cheap even with a lawyer. I think less than three-hundred $. (Sorry-random buttons on my keyboard aren't working} I can tell you anything I know if you want.

“It always seems impossible until it's done.”
    ― Nelson Mandela
  5. Senior Member
    I did with exH.
    It screwed me because he refused to sign it and never paid me a dime in child support the year+ that we were separated.
    If he definitely will sign it though, it saves a ton of money on a lawyer. If you go through base legal they make it pretty easy since they know all the ins and outs. Good luck.
  6. Senior Member
    He is a reservist and we live too far from a base for me to justify doing that. I had thought about it, but it would be more of a hassle for me than anything I think. I'm positive he will sign them, and I've already started looking in to setting up and automatic transfer/withdrawal for child support. It just looks like a LOT to do and I want to make sure I do it all correctly.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I filed my divorce and my custody (separate cases - the custody actually came before the divorce) both pro se. As long as both parties are in agreement, I have no hesitation. Most jurisdictions will have packets available for the most common proceedings (such as separation/divorce).
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChandyPandy View Post
    Go to the lawyers on base, they will help you and it doesn't cost anything to see them. If you guys agree on everything, it's just easier to have someone explain the paperwork. If one of you can't make it there, I honestly only went on base once to see a lawyer...same for STB-XDH, and they pretty much just told us what we would need to fill out if we wanted to get divorced in our respective states. Sometimes if you go to the nearest courthouse they also have an area that will help you do family law stuff without lawyers.
    I'll definitely look in to that. thanks
  9. Senior Member
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    I filed my divorce and my custody (separate cases - the custody actually came before the divorce) both pro se. As long as both parties are in agreement, I have no hesitation. Most jurisdictions will have packets available for the most common proceedings (such as separation/divorce).
    would the packets be at the courthouse? or maybe online? I'm having to do this by myself since he's in CA for work. It's a pain, but it's better than waiting until he gets home and potentially starts to change his mind about things
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast