Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: happenings and rocket_lizz October LDL Pals

1. Don't you know, don't you know that you're beautiful?
    Don't you know, don't you know that you're beautiful?

happenings and rocket_lizz October LDL Pals

Advertisements
    Welcome to October!!
    blondiebabe is my twin! Distance Divas SailorsGoddess is my wifey!
  2. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Hi!!!
    How are you doing? Anything fun planned this weekend?
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  3. Senior Member
    hey! I'm doing well, how are you?

I'm dogsitting for my parents this weekend, which means a lot of pool time! What about you?

4. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Awesome, pools are fun! Btw, I LOVE your avatar. Totoro. I have a stuffed catbus sitting next to me right now

I am going home (a 2.5 hour drive) to visit my parents this weekend. My dad JUST got internet (finally! ) so I am excited to show him how to get a gmail account. I will just hang out and relax, and finish up wedding planning. My dress just came a couple days ago so I have to make sure it fits and stuff.
  5. Senior Member
    I am jealous you have a stuffed catbus, I've looked everywhere for one to go with my stuffed Totoro

Oh that sounds fun! How far are you with the planning?

6. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    DF got me the catbus last Christmas. He bought it online somewhere, I think. It has a tiny totoro you can put inside it!

I'm pretty much done with the wedding planning, just have to pick out flowers, order the cake, and make the invitations now. The venues are all reserved, and the necessary people are booked. Oh, DF and I have been seriously procrastinating about planning a honeymoon, so we need to do that too!

I see you are a geology student! I love geology. I didn't take a geology class until my last year of my undergrad, but if I had discovered it sooner, I totally would have majored in geology. My favorite was limnology.
  7. Senior Member
    Limnology is actually what I'm studying! My focus river geomorphology and how rock densities effect sediment transport

What are you studying now?

A tiny totoro!

8. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Limnology is awesome Everyone here in the midwest is crazy about it; we have too many lakes, I think

Right now I'm getting my master's in public health, specializing in toxicology & environmental health. However, I am applying for a PhD program in biomedical informatics & systems biology. A bit of a change It's been an interesting academic journey but I've had the fantastic opportunity to intern in the biomedical informatics dept for 2 summers now and they've asked me to to apply as a PhD student! So, I will have to learn some computer programming and other new stuff, but it's a great (and well-funded) field.
    Last edited by rocket_lizz; 10-03-2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: wrong smiliey
  9. Senior Member
    It's not as popular at my university, but I've seen other schools' limnology classes and I've been super jealous! Groundwater and earthquakes are really big in CA.

Ahh, how do you like toxicology & environmental health? I have been looking at MPH programs and am really considering applying. I'm really interested in wastewater/water contamination. What is your program like? I hope you don't mind my asking!

I've never heard of biomedical informatics, what is it? That's awesome that they asked you to apply though!

10. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I had my first earthquake when I was in San Diego this summer! It was only like a 3, so I barely felt anything.

I LOVE toxicology and environmental health. It's so fun. However, there is no funding for PhD programs for it, so I was kinda SOL until the biomedical informatics thing turned up. My MPH adviser right now hasn't had a new PhD student in 4 years because she just doesn't have any grant money. I do, however, recommend an MPH. It's a very versatile degree and definitely has lots of interesting options. My school here in MN has like 10 different tracks for MPH degrees, so I bet you could find one somewhere that deals with water and waste systems!

Biomedical informatics is healthcare, computer science, and biology mixed together. It's kind of complicated but it's like genetic testing, or making software to read DNA, or building medical records software for hospitals to use. The work I did at my internship dealt with electronic informed consent methods and ethics during clinical trails using cancer patients. It was pretty awesome, and my ethics stuff from my MPH prepared me well for it.
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast