Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breaking my heart

1. Regular Member
    Advertisements
    I'm sorry to hear. My son was the same way, he refused to talk to DH on Facetime for the first week or two. I ended up letting him sleep in bed with me at night as an extra comfort for us both. DH deployed again and so I bought the books "When Daddy Travels" and "Count Down Till Daddy Comes Home". The books seem to help. Hugs to both of you!
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by irish85 View Post
    This doesnt compare at all, but just a suggestion. Growing up my dad worked for the D.O.T. so he worked nights a lot. My sister and I missed him so much during those nights. So my dad came up with the idea to give us two of his favorite yankee shirts. (I guess its similar to the daddy doll), it def helped!! Id be lying if I said I dont have it still even if its ripped up and torn!
    Awe that's a good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by *Bazinga* View Post
    Is your DH somewhere you could send him a few of the books to record him reading to your son and then send them back? That could help, especially if you get the daddy doll. Maybe Daddy Doll could read to him when he misses him.

I'm sure you have pictures out, but maybe a pic to hang around his neck that he can hug/look at when he misses Daddy.

Yeah I can send him some of the recordable books! We used to try and take turns reading to them at night but kinda stopped recently before he left.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSunshine View Post
    I'm sorry to hear. My son was the same way, he refused to talk to DH on Facetime for the first week or two. I ended up letting him sleep in bed with me at night as an extra comfort for us both. DH deployed again and so I bought the books "When Daddy Travels" and "Count Down Till Daddy Comes Home". The books seem to help. Hugs to both of you!
    I'm gonna look and see if I can find those on Amazon!

Thanks everyone for all of the great advice!
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Stability is extremely important when raising children on active duty. We raised our kids in multiple states, sometimes at my husbands duty station, sometimes at my duty station, and on a few occasions the kids stayed with my parents for a couple of months. Unlike now, we didn't have facetime or texting. There were no cell phones. We sometimes went weeks between calls, but whomever the kids were with, we made sure that the boys knew how special they were to us, and we always made sure that at least one of us was there on every birthday, holiday or other special occasion. Yeah, it was horribly expensive to fly home from Italy, Japan or Bahrain for birthdays and Christmas, but it soooo was worth every penny.

Kids are resilient creatures. Have faith in their ability to cope and in your ability to raise them.
  4. Senior Member
    I totally know where you are. I think the only thing you can do is talk to them and convey that daddy is doing something very important and he loves him very much.

Kids are resilient and he will be ok. Lots of hugs from mom will help.
  5. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

*whispers* This thread is a year old, ya'll.

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12