Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: My son is missing my DB

1. Regular Member

My son is missing my DB

Advertisements
    So DB has been deployed for a couple of months now. I knew that my 6.5 year old son was missing him now and then but last night just broke my heart. After church, my son said he was really sad and when I asked why he said it was because he was really missing DB. So, on the way home we talked about it. I told him it was okay to be sad that it's okay to miss him and that he misses us both just as much as we miss him. I explained that when I feel sad about him being gone that I pray for strength and peace and it helps me get through it. He started asking me if he would be with me when DB comes back home next year and I explained that we don't have an exact date yet and when I find out that date we will figure things out. He started to feel a little better and then began talking about things we can all do together when DB returns; like going to the zoo. Warmed my heart to know that he is planning his own homecoming plans for us.

He prays for DB all the time and is always finding ways to connect him into his life. He decided that DB needed his own pumpkin this year. So instead of picking up 3 (1 for me, 1 for my son and 1 for the dog), we picked up 4. He's settled on carving the word "Army" into the pumpkin.

He is a very smart boy. I don't sugar coat things with him as that is just not who I am. He knows the country where DB is deployed and where he will transfer to later on in the deployment. We've looked at where we are on the map and where DB is so he has more of a visual understanding of how far away he is. My son also seems to be obsessed with the time difference. He's always asking me what time it is there and if it's night or day.

Does anyone have any advice on other ways to help my son cope with this long deployment?
  2. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    No experience here with kids + deployment but wanted to offer

What about getting him a watch with the time on it? That way he can wear it and check whenever he wants. Does he get to Skype, write letters, or help with care packages?
  3. Regular Member
    We write letters and do emails. DB is not up on technology (he's pretty old school) and is not always on his deployed base for Skyping because he is traveling. We did our first care package a couple of weeks ago but DB has said he prefers us to save our money for us to do things when he gets back rather than spend it on him for care packages. He says him and his team have everything they need right now. We will do one for Christmas (whether DB likes it or not, ha!).

My son has a watch but it sometimes gets left at his dads. He also knows that I have a dual clock on my phone and that I have a deployment watch that has two time faces; one with ours and one with DB's.

Thank you for the hugs. I knew that he missed him but I just didn't know how much until last night.
  4. Senior Member
    Awwww so sweet and sad at the same time! I hope this time apart goes by quickly for all of you!
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  5. Regular Member
    I love how he misses him but breaks my heart that it makes him sad. I'm hoping it goes by quickly, too. 2 months in and soooo many more to go.