Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: School connection for military families

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

School connection for military families

Advertisements
    Hello to everyone! I am a school counselor who works with military families and I am trying to determine ways to enhance our school's counseling program for our military families and make it benefit their needs! As parents of military connected children I need your help! What are some ways your past schools have made your transition in/ and or out of the school easier? What are things that could be done to hep make this transition easier? When you have moved to a new school, what are some things that counselors and teachers can do to help students with this transition?

When working to determine appropriate ways to meet your families needs, I am coming to the experts (those families who have been there and experienced this), so that I know what needs to be done. It's often difficult for individuals who are not military connected, to fully understand what it is like to live the military life style. I would truly appreciate any feedback that you all can provide me, to help meet the needs of military families in my school.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    When moving during the school year, it has been helpful to get a packet of things I'll need to initially get them enrolled-shot record, classes they've been taking, their grades, etc. This last time the teachers wrote notes of their experiences with them, how they'll be missed and wishing them good luck. I thought that was really nice.

My kids have always done well with the moving and deployments so they really haven't needed anything special.
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you BLBnJVB3 for your response! Records was not something that I had initially thought of, however this is definitely an important part to remember. Especially when families are moving around from state to state, it will be important that I send copies of everything with them so that they are not dealing with the hassle of having to call and get something faxed. I will work on a check-list of things to make sure I include! Great advise, thank you!!