Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Child Development Center

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Child Development Center

Advertisements
    Hello I am hoping other parents might be able to help me out. I have a 2 year old and his dad and I are not together. I live near an air force base but his father is not stationed here. I was denied enrollment for my son at the cdc on base because his dad is not stationed here. They referred me to the priority list which does not address if the sponsor is stationed at a different base. I am able to take my son to the base for medical and I would love for him to go to the cdc. I am a full time student and work 32 hours a week. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you!
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    To my knowledge, CDC is only eligible to card holding/authorized individuals. Your child has an ID card, not you. They must provide him access to medical facility, but they do not have to provide access to CDC or other base facilities.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. Banned
    Banned
    the CDC is a member benefit for their families.
    in order to use the CDC you need a dependent ID card for yourself.
  4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    On some bases, if you work on base and have your own ID card for working on base they will let you apply/use, but they allow that only if they have space.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I actually do have a military ID card because I am a full time student and am still a dependent of my father. The CDC told me that me having benefits did not qualify my son which I understand. My son's father is active duty just not stationed here. I was told because my son's father is not stationed here my son cannot go to the base center. What would happen to a child that has a parent stationed here and then the active duty parent went to Korea and did not take their family? Would the child be kicked out of the CDC? I definitely understand a priority list however this center has several openings in my son's age group. Just does not seem fair that because His father and I are not together my son does not get to use the base child care.
  6. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Did you try getting him enrolled with just your ID card and information, and nothing of his father?

My guess is, that you haven't and thus, because you are trying to get him in based on his father's status he wouldn't be eligible because his father isn't stationed there.

I would try getting in as a civilian or as a dependent of your father (your status) as opposed to the status of your child or the child's father.

7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by mtc522 View Post
    I actually do have a military ID card because I am a full time student and am still a dependent of my father. The CDC told me that me having benefits did not qualify my son which I understand. My son's father is active duty just not stationed here. I was told because my son's father is not stationed here my son cannot go to the base center. What would happen to a child that has a parent stationed here and then the active duty parent went to Korea and did not take their family? Would the child be kicked out of the CDC? I definitely understand a priority list however this center has several openings in my son's age group. Just does not seem fair that because His father and I are not together my son does not get to use the base child care.
    If the family stays at the losing base then they will continue with the same resources if the sponsor is on an unaccompanied tour in Korea. I'm still at our losing base while my husband is in Korea, for instance, and I am still able to use resources offered through the AFRC because on his orders to Korea it is clearly marked whether the family is staying at the losing base, continuing to the follow-on or going elsewhere.

I'm sorry that you're not getting the answers that you want and you think that it "does not seem fair".
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you. Yes I actually tried to get him in first with my card but they said those benefits were for me and not my son which I understood. I am a dependent of my father but my son is not. It is frustrating because they are not able to show me anywhere in writing who qualifies to use the center just the priority list which does not address someone who is stationed at another base. I have looked online at other bases enrollment paperwork and some so address it just as a lower priority which I understand. This center has several openings in my son's age group so I am hoping to find some way to make this work. They have a wonderful program.
  9. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazmine View Post
    If the family stays at the losing base then they will continue with the same resources if the sponsor is on an unaccompanied tour in Korea. I'm still at our losing base while my husband is in Korea, for instance, and I am still able to use resources offered through the AFRC because on his orders to Korea it is clearly marked whether the family is staying at the losing base, continuing to the follow-on or going elsewhere.

I'm sorry that you're not getting the answers that you want and you think that it "does not seem fair".
    Yes, this.. I was trying to figure out how to explain it.. and this is it.

Quote Originally Posted by mtc522 View Post
    Thank you. Yes I actually tried to get him in first with my card but they said those benefits were for me and not my son which I understood. I am a dependent of my father but my son is not. It is frustrating because they are not able to show me anywhere in writing who qualifies to use the center just the priority list which does not address someone who is stationed at another base. I have looked online at other bases enrollment paperwork and some so address it just as a lower priority which I understand. This center has several openings in my son's age group so I am hoping to find some way to make this work. They have a wonderful program.
    Are you sure they have openings? Are you sure there isn't a wait list? Some CDCs are required to have an X number of 'open' slots for those that PCS in, and drop-ins. Maybe you think there are slots open, but those slots are reserved for other things. You have only the privileges on base provided to you through your father. Those could be limited to just commissary and clinic and nothing else. Your son likely only has privileges for the clinic, thus deeming neither of you eligible for CDC or other NAF/MWR related places.

I would ask them the rules of civilians using the facility. You are theoretically a civilian utilizing the facility.

10. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I sure appreciate what you and you husband are doing. It can't be easy being apart for such a long time so thank you. I guess I don't really feel that it is unfair if that is the policy. I just would like to see where in writing it states that. I have looked at enrollment paperwork for other centers and some do mention if the sponsor is stationed at another base they are just a lower priority which I understand. Thank you for your help.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast