Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Toddlers.

1. Robin :)
    Robin :)

Toddlers.

Advertisements
    When we went through our first deployment, our oldest was just 7 months old. Now he's almost 3, I don't know how to explain this to him! Everytime DH leaves just for an underway he acts out, he's really a HUGE daddy's boy! He has a daddy doll, recordings of daddy reading him books, videos of them playing, recordable books. But how do I explain this to him, is there anything else we should get for him to make this process easier. We also have a 1 year old, who will be 2 early next year! I just want this to be an easy "adjustment" for them! Any help/suggestions is greatly apperciated!
    Last edited by Sailors_Princess; 07-09-2013 at 04:59 PM.
    We Survived Deployment #1 July 2011-Feburary 2012
    We Survived Deployment #2 July 2013-April 2014

I'm the Pink in a household full of Blue
  2. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    I wish I could help, we only had Emma the last time DH deployed and she was a newborn. I have no idea what I would do now. It sounds like you have done everything you can for right now. Maybe get some deployment books for kids? I know kids learn a lot through story time.

3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I honestly believe what helped Bre understand John was gone was watching the ship pull out. We dropped him off and she had been on the ship many times over the 2 years between the deployments so the ship wasn't new to her. Other than that all you can really do is try to answer his questions with age appropriate answers. But the best things for Bre were visual. And after seeing him get on the ship and it leave she really didn't ask many questions.
  4. Robin :)
    Robin :)
    Quote Originally Posted by sqrllvr123 View Post
    I wish I could help, we only had Emma the last time DH deployed and she was a newborn. I have no idea what I would do now. It sounds like you have done everything you can for right now. Maybe get some deployment books for kids? I know kids learn a lot through story time.
    That's what I was thinking, but I feel like I can never have them too prepared, you know? He was so little last time, so I really just want to make this "calming" experience. If that's possible

Quote Originally Posted by BLBnJVB3 View Post
    I honestly believe what helped Bre understand John was gone was watching the ship pull out. We dropped him off and she had been on the ship many times over the 2 years between the deployments so the ship wasn't new to her. Other than that all you can really do is try to answer his questions with age appropriate answers. But the best things for Bre were visual. And after seeing him get on the ship and it leave she really didn't ask many questions.
    I thought about that. We may watch the ship pull out, so he can watch daddy leave. I just pray he's okay afterwards!
    We Survived Deployment #1 July 2011-Feburary 2012
    We Survived Deployment #2 July 2013-April 2014

I'm the Pink in a household full of Blue