Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Young kids and daddy is enlisting... advice??

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Young kids and daddy is enlisting... advice??

Advertisements
    This may not be the right section to post this in, so my apologies in advance if it isn't!
    DH is enlisting in the army and is taking his ASVAB in 3 days. We have a 3 year old and a 14 month old, and a third baby due in Oct. It seems most of the time, people either join the military and THEN start a family (so the kids grow up completely used to military life), or they start a family and join when the kids are a bit older. Has anyone joined with very young kids? How did it affect them? I am hoping that my 3 year old is able to adjust. The other two I am not so worried about since they will grow up with this as their "normal" so to speak, and won't remember anything from before daddy joined. The 3 year old, I am worried, might have a rough time at first until she forgets what life used to be like. I am hoping at 3 that she can transition from civilian life to military life. Is there anything I could do to help her understand what is going on? Why daddy has a new job with a new uniform, we can't go see him at work, etc? I am worried that she will lash out for a bit, especially with the addition of a new baby on top of daddy being away for Boot camp and AIT for a while. It doesn;t help that my family is totally unsupportive of DH enlisting because they feel we are uprooting the kids' lives, so they are totally laying the guilt trip on us. Any tips from parents who have done this before with young ones?
    :)
    Blog Entries
    My girls were 4 months and 14 months when my DH rejoined the national guard. They were to young to real know what was going on but they were 3 and 2 when he deployed for the first time and they handled it surprisingly well...they missed daddy but they went on like they did when he was home. Their behavior never changed and we even potty trained while he was gone lol. If you need anyone to talk to just let me know.

♥ 2,000oz of boobie milk donated ♥

better2gether is my Irish Twin Mommy Wifey!
  3. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Thank you for the response! I think I might just be overthinking things a bit. I keep telling myself that kids are resilient and they are still young enough to get used to this new lifestyle. It's reassuring to hear from people who have been there and done that before. I see you are due in October as well... Congrats!