Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Babies?

1. Senior Member

Babies?

Advertisements
    I know every kid is different, but I'm wondering what sort of adjustment periods your babies went through, if any. Bowen is six months old. He's just in the last month or so started to really know and make known who he wants to be with when. He hugs and kisses DH, reaches for him, gets fussy if he takes to long to pick him up when he gets home, etc. just wondering what kinds of things I can expect to go through with him when DH leaves, if any. TIA!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

We didn't do any long deployments with Wyatt that little but we did do tons of 2-3week underways starting from that age. The biggest issue for us was getting him used to me only putting him down at night or doing dinner. Leading up to it, it went from daddy doing nighttime routines to us both doing it and then slowly weaning out daddy. Other than that, it wasn't much of an issue. When DH was gone for 5weeks last year in transit to moving here, Wyatt was 9mos-10mos during that time and while he asked for daddy and stuff, he didn't seem affected by it. I recorded DH with the video camera reading Wyatt stories and we watched lots of videos of him while he was gone, still do even now. That combined with a soft photo album that Wyatt slept with (and still does) worked pretty well.
  3. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

It took a good couple months for the tantrums for daddy to stop. And now, when we go super long periods without hearing from him we have rough days. I was just sure to talk about it and her feelings and DH actively. Read picture books of him etc. really helped..
  4. Senior Member
    I started really doing his nighttime routine by myself while DH was away for training, so the only thing that will be different for that part will be not kissing him goodnight. we have DVDs of him reading, a Daddy doll, and we plan to trade memory cards of videos if we can't Skype often. I feel like he's too young to really miss him, or really know that he misses him, but I want to keep him as fresh in his mind as possible.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by maegan View Post
    I started really doing his nighttime routine by myself while DH was away for training, so the only thing that will be different for that part will be not kissing him goodnight. we have DVDs of him reading, a Daddy doll, and we plan to trade memory cards of videos if we can't Skype often. I feel like he's too young to really miss him, or really know that he misses him, but I want to keep him as fresh in his mind as possible.
    Sounds like you're doing everything right Separations are a totally different ball game when you add kids into it.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by huladangelo View Post
    Sounds like you're doing everything right Separations are a totally different ball game when you add kids into it.
    Thank you! I'm learning that fast! I was totally of the mind that it would be no big deal, we did six months just fine. Add the baby and we're both a mess
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Aubs didn't know Scott, so I'm no help lol. She recognized him when he got back, though, from all of the videos, Skype sessions, and phone calls. I played videos of him 5-10 times a week to try and build recognition.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by maegan View Post
    Thank you! I'm learning that fast! I was totally of the mind that it would be no big deal, we did six months just fine. Add the baby and we're both a mess
    Yeah, I hear you. I've done so many underways, even long ones and I've always been totally fine but this last one for 9 weeks and we all three had the worst time!
  9. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    I had dd1 when my ex was deployed, and he returned home when she was 3 months old. Then he left when she was 10 months old for school. He was home when I had dd2, but deployed when she was 8 months old. She was 15 months old when he returned. And with ds2, he deployed just after finding out I was pregnant, came home the day before his birth, left two weeks later and returned when he was 4 months. Then he deployed again when he was around 15 months. No major adjustments for any of the kids. Pretty smooth transition.
    Pax, Aeon
  10. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    Aubs didn't know Scott, so I'm no help lol. She recognized him when he got back, though, from all of the videos, Skype sessions, and phone calls. I played videos of him 5-10 times a week to try and build recognition.
    Same here. Except Emma wanted nothing to do with Chris.

I put up extra pictures of the two of us, and of him with Emma, and showed her daily. Even though she didn't want him doing things for her, she knew he was a safe person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast