Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: 4 year old help!

1. Regular Member

4 year old help!

Advertisements
    I just wanted to see if anyone else has ever dealt with this before. When my four year old gets into any type or trouble (to clean your room to please don't put lip gloss on the cat) she like to bring up that she misses her daddy. I'm pretty sure she brings this up so I don't tell her no or so I'll feel sorry for her but the way I've been handling it is I tell her that her daddy misses her also but that's not why she's in trouble and then explain why she's in trouble. Am I handling this the right way? Did this happen to anyone else?

“For everything you have missed, you have gained something else, and for everything you gain, you lose something else.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

2. Regular Member
    I am dealing with the same thing and I am handling it the same way you are. My kids are older then your daughter (my youngest if 5) and each of them has tried it to divert attention, change the subject, or to try and get out of trouble. I have been simply addressing it with "he misses you too" and then dealing with whatever the situation may be.
  3. Regular Member
    okay then I don't feel so alone, thanks

“For everything you have missed, you have gained something else, and for everything you gain, you lose something else.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

4. Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    Blog Entries
    My daughter does that too. She is 3.. Hubs has been at BCT for 3 weeks now.

When she gets in trouble she says "I miss daddy" I tell her that I do too but she still is in trouble and she needs to be good so daddy will be proud of her being such a big girl.

That normally works for me.

She actually has been really good and only really has pulled that at bedtime when she does not want to lay down.
    Rissa*Rawr is my Wifey as of 1/24/2012
  5. Gone Hiking
    Gone Hiking
    My son is a little bit older than your child (he's 6) and he does the same thing. When he's having a difficult time which gets him in trouble, he will come out with "I miss daddy."
    For those times with my son, I also tell him that I know he misses daddy, and he misses him too. Then we deal with the trouble making and he'll usually ask how much longer before daddy comes back home.

My hubby had to go to Okinawa for a year and our year is over halfway done thankfully. I'm hoping soon, we'll get a specific date and can get a count down calendar. In the mean time we talk about all we'll be doing once daddy gets back home and my son gets happy.