Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toddlers during deployment

1. Regular Member

Toddlers during deployment

Advertisements
    My daughter is a year old and people have told me she won't miss Daddy while he's gone, she's not old enough to understand, etc. But maybe it's just me, but I really feel like she does understand who "daddy" is and that she will miss him.

Either way it goes, I don't want her to forget who he is while he is gone, but I don't know how to help out a one year old with remembering her dad when he's not around. I've heard showing her pictures and talking about him can sometimes work, but I though I'd ask for some help.
  2. jjr
    Even 1 year olds know. When my oldest dd was 1ish she would cry for daddy. I showed her pictures of her daddy had him send lots of deployment photos. I had him on speaker phone when he would call. He also wrote e-mails just for her and I read them to her. In the end she was a little nervous when he came home (after 6months) but she warmed up to him quick.
  3. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    I'm about to go through the same thing. My son is 22 months. We are taking lots of videos of daddy.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Video, video, video.

My kids are 16 and 18 and they still have video my husband has made over the years for them for when he's leaving. In fact, during the last deployment, my son took the VCR tapes to school and his digital media teacher helped him convert the tapes to DVD's and digital format and my daughter put them on her iPod touch and watched them. It's kinda heart warming to see older teens watching a video of dad reading them Curious George books that he made 15 years ago.
  5. Regular Member

Thanks. I've been taking a lot of pictures and stuff, just so I can have a lot for her. She loves her daddy, so I'm hoping those seven months or so fly by for her.
  6. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    dd is 2.5 years and going through her 1st deployment. the best thing that we did was have dh make videos of himself reading her favorite books. she watches one almost every night before i read to her. we make crafts to send to him. we video chat (we are pretty lucky so far).

otherwise, just keep talking to her about him. she might not cry for him like an older child would, but she will definitely remember him.
  7. i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    DD was 14MO when DH left. She missed him a LOT! Went 3 weeks without eating solid food and would only nurse, stopped sleeping, etc. It was horrible.

The Daddy Doll helped, seeing him on skype helped, pictures made her mad at first because they weren't talking back to her, but she grew to like those too.

militaryonesource.com has books and lots of resources for kids and infants during deployment. (Or talk to your family readiness center). My favorite is a book called Over There.
    I'm LeAndra

Married to James since October 2008
    Lorelai Feb 2010
    Beckham July 2012
    I am a Christian & SAHM/W

If you have any questions about massage therapy, breastfeeding, natural birth, Your Baby Can Read, teaching kids sign language or whatever...feel free to ask!
    PS~ Please excuse any typos for the time being...I've almost always got an arm full of baby
  8. Regular Member

Thanks for all the ideas. I have a book that can record his voice, but I'll probably have him do videos, too.
  9. Regular Member
    My husband left when our son was 18 months but was in & out constantly for months before. He has a daddy doll, tons of video's of him & his dad playing, a recordable storybook & a special picture book I got made on snapfish.com. They help him remember his dad. Video's are my sons favorite of his dad. Hope you find what works best for your kiddo!!
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Our son was 15 months old when DH left, he knew who daddy was and LOVED talking to him on skype. We had 2 daddy dolls (One for home and one for daycare) and I also made a powerpoint with pictures of us as a family and daddy for him to watch. It helped a TON. When DH came home on R&R DS ran to him and gave him a huge hug

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast