Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Help children prepare for first deployment

1. Regular Member

Help children prepare for first deployment

Advertisements
    I'm looking for advice & ideas on how to prepare young children for their father's first deployment. (6 and under)

Husband leaves in the spring, and while I know I can never fully prepare them or myself for that matter, I want to try and do what I can.
  2. Regular Member
    I just noticed there is a forum just for this .... sorry ... I don't know how to delete this post.
  3. Senior Member
    Hi there!
    I don't have children so I can't offer you anything on that end but I know that you will get a lot of great support from the ladies here!!!
    Welcome to the site!!
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    There's no way to fully prepare them. What my parents did to me was talked to me that Daddy was going to do his job and that he would be home as quickly as he can. Write letters, send pictures, make cards, it makes it a whole lot easier!!
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I just got the kids prepared by talking about it, we got a couple books for deployed parents from amazon.com and did the best with what we had, like making, decorating CPs, skyping, talking over the phone... The prep part was discussing it often and what it'd be like...fortunately we have seasons where we live and so it was like, "we won't see daddy again for R&R until its super cold and snowy, but after Christmas" then it was "once the leaves start to turn colors that will let us know we get to see him soon again, but not until Halloween"

We talked a lot about it and told them he has to work ... they were okay. Regardless, nothing can prepare them for saying goodbye or see ya later... that is gonna be hard no matter what. Just be strong and let them feel what they're feeling and talk about it, encourage him to call when he can so he can calm their worries too.
  6. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    We are getting ready to go through this, too.
  7. Regular Member
    Thanks AwwSnail! I'm so looking forward to making care packages ... will be fun to include the kids too!
  8. Banned
    Banned
    I know it's not quite the same, but since I moved away from my family, my youngest sister has really missed me. One thing she does is look for words in magazine or newspaper headlines plugs the words in to the cutest letters. That might be a fun activity for your kids too. I think the process of searching for words would be fun and distracting, but also allow them a chance to get their feelings out.