Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Opinions/Thoughts...

1. Senior Member

Opinions/Thoughts...

Advertisements
    So DH is about to leave for deployment #2 but our first with kids. He leaves from a bus stop on base here because they leave from the international airport, but every time he goes on tdy's and stuff in the past we say our goodbyes at home and will get a ride to the bus stop because we like to just tell the kids daddy is at work. Do I just do what we normally do for a deployment too? I'm worried the scene of everyone crying and saying goodbye to all the guys is going to upset them and make things worse esp. since we sit to the "daddy is working answer" when they ask where he is. So I'm kinda torn if I should have them say goodbye to daddy at the house or goodbye at the bus stop and make a big scene out of it.. any thoughts or ideas would rock!

TIA!!

2. missing my sanity
    missing my sanity
    Blog Entries

for me personally I don't like the "daddy is working answer" for deployments. It is possible that kids will start resenting him for working all the time and "choosing" his job over spending time with them. Maybe try explaining to them about what deployment is and find a way to make it more upbeat and make plans to do something fun "mini party" at all the milestones. Such as "one month down" party and the "half way" party. If he accomplishes anything neat while he is deployed such as advancement or gets a new qualification throw a "great job daddy" party.

My friend once did a paper chain for every day that they would be gone and had the kids decorate each link of the chain. They would hang it around the house and every night they would take that day's link off and celebrate with desert.

3. i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyHawk View Post
    for me personally I don't like the "daddy is working answer" for deployments. It is possible that kids will start resenting him for working all the time and "choosing" his job over spending time with them. Maybe try explaining to them about what deployment is and find a way to make it more upbeat and make plans to do something fun "mini party" at all the milestones. Such as "one month down" party and the "half way" party. If he accomplishes anything neat while he is deployed such as advancement or gets a new qualification throw a "great job daddy" party.
    :Agree

www.zerotothree.org

www.militaryonesource.com

www.daddydolls.com

Operation We Are Here - Encouraging the Military Home Front

There is a TON on things for military kids available, you just have to be willing to look for it!
    Always contact your Family Readiness Center, they are a great source of information as well!

Zero to three and military one source both have free books that you can get to help explain it to your kids.
    I'm LeAndra

Married to James since October 2008
    Lorelai Feb 2010
    Beckham July 2012
    I am a Christian & SAHM/W

If you have any questions about massage therapy, breastfeeding, natural birth, Your Baby Can Read, teaching kids sign language or whatever...feel free to ask!
    PS~ Please excuse any typos for the time being...I've almost always got an arm full of baby
  4. missing my sanity
    missing my sanity
    Blog Entries

oh yes the daddy dolls and flat daddies are awesome. My friends have that for their kids and they their flat daddies/daddy dolls.

5. Senior Member
    I have always taken my kids to see their dad off on deployment. I think it's good for them to realize this is very different from daddy going off to work.