Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to countdown the days?

1. Senior Member

How to countdown the days?

Advertisements
    Our son just turned 7 and this is our first deployment coming up. Im looking for some fun suggestions to countdown the days until Dad comes home. I have seen the deployment chain but it kinda seems overwhelming? This deployment could b up to 400 days! I also have seen where people put hershey kisses in a jar and the child gets one every day. Kinda cute. Just wondering what other ideas anyone has.
  2. Senior Member
    I was going to say the hershey kisses everyday or something similar. My dad used to travel a lot for work when I was little and he would make calendars that had flaps over the days and there would be things like pictures of us, little notes, or 50 cents..small stuff like that. I'm sure it was a lot of work looking back at it but I loved it when I was little!
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    We always count up. Like, how many days we've made it through. It made it easier if dates changed (because they always do!)

When mine were 5 and seven we started quarter jars for both of them. They got a quarter every night as part of the bedtime routine to put in their jar. I got them both a big pickle jar to use. Then when my husband got home, they used the quarters to go to Chuck E Cheese and they had a blast. Another time they cashed them in and went to a Go-cart racing place.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnAFWife View Post
    We always count up. Like, how many days we've made it through. It made it easier if dates changed (because they always do!)

When mine were 5 and seven we started quarter jars for both of them. They got a quarter every night as part of the bedtime routine to put in their jar. I got them both a big pickle jar to use. Then when my husband got home, they used the quarters to go to Chuck E Cheese and they had a blast. Another time they cashed them in and went to a Go-cart racing place.
    Counting up and the quarters are fantastic ideas!
  5. Just liviing our love song <3
    Just liviing our love song <3
    Quote Originally Posted by twentyatheart View Post
    Our son just turned 7 and this is our first deployment coming up. Im looking for some fun suggestions to countdown the days until Dad comes home. I have seen the deployment chain but it kinda seems overwhelming? This deployment could b up to 400 days! I also have seen where people put hershey kisses in a jar and the child gets one every day. Kinda cute. Just wondering what other ideas anyone has.
    I'm no where near this point...but I love getting awesome ideas like this to file in the back of my head for "one day"
    "It is Jesus that you seek when you dream of happiness. He is waiting for you when nothing else satisfies you. He is the beauty to which you are so attracted. It is He who urges you to shed the masks of a false life...It is Jesus who stirs in you the desire to do something great with your lives." -JPII
  6. One Day At A Time...
    One Day At A Time...
    When we were little, we would count up for the first months. Each time we hit a month mark we would get to do something fun. (Out to dinner, Playland, etc.) Then, the last month we did the paper chain because it was small and made the countdown so much more real!

I really like the quarters idea!
  7. Senior Member
    We are going to make a chain with construction paper. Each day I will write the date and the # of 1 DH has been gone and then on the other side write one thing we did that day (Grocery shopping, Zoo, mowed the lawn..etc) and when DH gets home we go over it with him together.

I might also use that jar idea with the change.

8. Senior Member
    So...instead of making a chain and letting him cut a link off each day...make a link each day and build a chain? Then he can write something he did on it each day. I like that idea. Then he could hang it up to decorate when dad comes home! I like the quarters idea too. That would give him a way to save up and they could find something fun to do!
  9. Senior Member
    Find something he hates, like Brussels sprouts, or broccoli.

Have him eat one a day until dad comes home.

With candy it's like
    "Yea, daddys home, but the candy is gone"

With something nasty it's
    "Yippy daddys home yippy no more Brussels spouts "

2x the excitement

Serious note make sure he knows it
    "We take one down each day and when they are gone daddy is home."

My kids had countdown rings to Christmas and heard
    "we take one down each day and when they are gone it is Christmas"

and started seeking more off hoping to make Christmas come sooner.
  10. Member
    Blog Entries
    I have a 6 year old and we do the Hershey Kisses in a see thru jar and everytime we hit the month mark of another one gone we go out and celebrate and do something fun together. This is also when we make daddy his care package for the month.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast