Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: DS's first skype chat with DB

1. Hi there!.....OOO Squirrel!
    Hi there!.....OOO Squirrel!

DS's first skype chat with DB

Advertisements
    Well after all my nervous waiting(DB had to work late). DB finally was able to log in. DS and him chatted for a half hour. DS is 7 years old and had tons of questions for DB(he wants to be military just like DB). So DB before answering would ask "You want the adult version of the answer, or the kid?" DS of course always wants the adult version. He handled it all very well and was grinning from ear to ear during the whole "call". DB told DS that hopefully tomorrow they will get to talk again. I am learning that you can't just say ok, kiddo is 7, this is how we will handle questions etc about the deployment and war. Have to gauge it by the kiddo. But I am very proud of DS for being very careful what he asked DB about(we had a talk about what DB doesn't need to worry about while there). DS quickly got off skype to go play with his Army Bear named after DB.

Well ok looks like DS knows how to put the "strong" face on. He broke down in tears when I went in his room to talk to him after I said my byes to DB. DS said he misses DB a ton and just wants to see him face to face not on a laptop than he tells me "Why does DB have to be in the army!" while balling his eyes out All I could do was comfort him and tell him that DB is doing his job to keep us safe and warm in our beds at night. It wont be long before he sees DB with R&R coming up.
    Last edited by Malistica; 04-16-2011 at 02:52 PM. Reason: added more info
  2. Senior Member
    This post just broke my heart! You are being so strong and so is your DS! I can't imagine how hard it is, but you sound like you are being the best support for both of them. I hope I can be as strong for my family one day! You're a very good role model! Both of those boys are lucky to have you! Sending love your way!
    No more countdown! He's home!!

"We don't cry because we are weak, but because we have been strong for too long"
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Malistica View Post
    "You want the adult version of the answer, or the kid?"
    I thought this was really cool. I never would have thought to ask this.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malistica View Post
    Well after all my nervous waiting(DB had to work late). DB finally was able to log in. DS and him chatted for a half hour. DS is 7 years old and had tons of questions for DB(he wants to be military just like DB). So DB before answering would ask "You want the adult version of the answer, or the kid?" DS of course always wants the adult version. He handled it all very well and was grinning from ear to ear during the whole "call". DB told DS that hopefully tomorrow they will get to talk again. I am learning that you can't just say ok, kiddo is 7, this is how we will handle questions etc about the deployment and war. Have to gauge it by the kiddo. But I am very proud of DS for being very careful what he asked DB about(we had a talk about what DB doesn't need to worry about while there). DS quickly got off skype to go play with his Army Bear named after DB.

Well ok looks like DS knows how to put the "strong" face on. He broke down in tears when I went in his room to talk to him after I said my byes to DB. DS said he misses DB a ton and just wants to see him face to face not on a laptop than he tells me "Why does DB have to be in the army!" while balling his eyes out All I could do was comfort him and tell him that DB is doing his job to keep us safe and warm in our beds at night. It wont be long before he sees DB with R&R coming up.

That's really neat that he looks up to DB so much. This story was really sweet. Thanks for sharing